really bloody hatch!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AHappychick, Feb 6, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    just had a chick hatch I have not opened bator, well not until this and did not aid in hatching in any way the chick is the 3rd but its a bloody mess. the yolk sack does not look absorbed fully I finally had to pull it out to get a better look ugg did not want to open bator but it almost looked as if it was not fully closed, I could not tell and did not want it bleeding its guts out over all the other eggs so i pulled it out and onto a towel but it seems intact, I have had chicks that looked like this still attached to that gunk stuff but almost fully absorbed and in the bator it just fell out once dried so I put it back in the bator. not sure what to do??? has anyone had a particular bloody hatch with the chick ok? I have seen a little bit of blood and extra gunk of course but never this much, it was a large egg could it have been a double yolker where only one made it and the extra gunk is the undeveloped embryo??? ugg [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wish I could help.

Hopefully someone on here will see this post that has that kind of experience.

3. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    [​IMG] could you post pics to help us see what it is ?

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    i cant get a good angle with out opening bator but the chick itself has no real opening just the long yucky string thig still atatched to a lot of well...stuff. The chick just hatched so isnt up and around much and is sitting ontop of it [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    I work in a hatchery ans see that offten. That chick will not make it.

6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I dont know i think it could make it....when i HAVE assisted hatches i've seen that gunk and as long as it doesnt get pulled on by another chick it was fine i normally snipped it off (if it's white and green it's not yolk stuffs).

im suprised to see one just hatching that way on it's own that persistant lil chick!!! lol If it's sitting upon it's own i give it hope! [​IMG]

7. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    How's it doing?

8. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Do you have an update on the baby?

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Good luck

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I had one like that on my first batch I ever incubated. It looked like something was coming out and it bled everywhere. Does it look like worms? It may be the intestines [​IMG] . I am sorry I am not any help, but if you take a pic of what the underside looks like and post it in the emergencies section you will surely get help.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by