1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Really Broody Hen- How long?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pincushionpatch, Jan 3, 2009.

1. pincushionpatch

pincushionpatch New Egg

Jan 3, 2009
    I have a Buff Orpington that is definitely broody. No rooster so all unfertilized. The other hens are resorting to laying on the floor even tho I provided another box. My question is should I be leaving her eggs under her? I've been taking all the eggs every day. I just pet her a bit and lift her up, scoop out the egg and then set her down again. How long does this last?
    By the way, I'm in Upstate New York, and it's absolutely frigid and snowy. I do have a light on a timer to supplement the light they get but it goes off after a couple hours for the night.
    I've been on this forum under my daughter's user name for about a year but she recently moved out and now I have my own account.

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

You can move her to a dog crate with no bedding. Just food and water. I know people have had luck breaking the cycle like that.
    Or you could always order/buy some fertile eggs for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by