really confused about sick/lame? goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by lacce18, Feb 16, 2012.

1. lacce18

lacce18 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2012
    Waikato, New zealand
    heya guys...
    yesterday i found that two of my geese cannot stand or walk... this is so bizarre to me.. its never happened before. They are both 1 and a half years old, both boys, brothers actually. I went out to give them their usual feed.. and neither of them could stand!?! they just semi flap and try to move about but can't. i've seperated them from the other geese, and put them into a seperate paddock.. their both eating, and drinking fine.. they seem alert and fine still. When i picked them up to move them.. they were both able to move thier legs... and yet they cannot stand or walk?? anyone please have any advice on what i can do ? thankyou :)

2. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    What are they eating and are they getting enough Niacin (B3) in their diet? That is one cause of weak legs in geese. You could try adding brewers yeast to their food to eliminate that as a cause of their issue.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I showed this to a waterfowl friend and she first noted the Niacin thing but thought that it wouldn't happen simultaneously.
    Here's her reply:
    "good that s/he has sep them from the rest of the flock. It is breeding season - traumatic injury? From another gander? Did anything get into the pen to hurt them?

Of course my first answer is always to run screaming to a vet, but goose vets are rather hard to find, esp if this person is rural.

Limber neck (botulism) is a common waterfowl condition where they cannot stand, but it is gotten when water levels drop and the geese dabble in muds that are aerated in a manner that is not the norm and they can acquire the organism. I doubt this person has this waterbody condition? and usu the presentation is the animal laying on its tummy unable to lift its head much less walk, so this does not sound like it. There is a vaccine but it can be hard to get and is a bit costly.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I would see if you can find a product called, Poultry nutri Drench it is very good for most ailments. I'll get you the link so you can read up on it yourself. I hope they are better today.. [​IMG]

http://barnyardsandbackyards.org/2010/09/18/review-nutri-drench/
    okay BYC is really acting up I keep making double posts when I only hit the submit 1 time.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sorry for the double posts something strange going on with BYC

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sorry for the double posts something strange going on with BYC
    or my computer [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  7. lacce18

Feb 14, 2012
    Waikato, New zealand
    Wow such awesome info... update on the two boys.. they are both still alive, thankgod. Neither of them can walk yet, but still are eating/drinking. Um their diet: they have a huge lush green paddock just for themselves, which they graze upon. and we feed em pecknlay, wheat, comprey, a tiny bit of bread as a treat, and cracked corn. Water: we actually dug a semi large pond just for them, lined it. and they usually go in there. they also have a bath tub suck into the ground, and odd tubs n trays in the ground aswell. their water is always kept clean (we're really fussy about this).. and no, they havnt started mating again yet, so id doubt it has anything to do with that. Um they are both stuck on their stomachs seeing as they cannot get up, but they're able to move their heads/necks fine.. so im assuming its not that?? Now as for the niacin, wow.. havn't heard of it before, eek! We do live rural, and shops/vets is hard for us (especially seeing as we cannot find a vet to see to birds/poultry grr) but i will definatly be getting the brewest yeast and hope it helps!! As for the nuti-drench, we live in New zealand, so not sure if they have it here yet?? i'll definatly be looking around for it, it looks really good!! thankyou guys!

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks for the update and hoping you see improvement soon.

9. lacce18

Feb 14, 2012
    Waikato, New zealand
    heya guys.. thought i'd post an update... Both of these two boys have slowly over the past 3 days started standing again... one even managed to walk up to me a lil bit (for food of course lol). Seems they're on the road to recovery... :D :D

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Wonderful news, now please tell us what all you have done to help them recover, in case we ever have this happen. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by