Really Confused... any insight?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickeneer45, Sep 29, 2012.

1. chickeneer45

chickeneer45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    So today I integrated a leghorn rooster and a leghorn chicken into my tiny flock of 5 chickens. the 5 chickens are one mama and four 3-month old chicken babies. i was really scared that the rooster would be vicious to the babies, but to be my great surprise the mama won't stop attacking both of the newcomers. the rooster is actually really nice but the momma isnt even protecting her babies cuz sometimes she just chases after him when he is really far away just to be mean. the rooster just minds its own business and the female leghorn just hides all day. ive been hoping that they would adjust to eachother soon especially since they are sleeping in the same coop. even some of the babies try to attack the newbies which is really odd to me, but the strangest part is about to come up. So i finally got them all together in the coop for the night and i decided to check on them in an hour or so. So at 7:30ish i checked on them and both leghorns who had been being attacked all day by the momma and babies were sleeping under the mama for warmth.... WHAT THE HECK??? she was trying to kill them all day but now they're like family??? I am really new to chickens so i dont know much, but isn't this strange?? Any tips, advice, and especially insight would be extremely helpful.
    Thanks for anything you can do,
    chickeneer

2. Doesn't sound good, but give it a day or two to see if the pecking order is just in limbo.

3. chickeneer45

Sep 17, 2012
    do u know why she is treating them like her babies now? is that a bad thing?

4. no idea, but it's better than her being mean to them.

5. UrbanviewFarm

UrbanviewFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    State of Jefferson

I don't know, really. I have seen my Shamo roo keep hens from attacking the chicks, is that a possibility? Maybe 'Mom' warmed up to the newcomers after showing everyone she was head boss. Any way you look at it, I say if it's not broke don't fix it!

6. chickeneer45

Sep 17, 2012
    Quote:its broken again becuz i woke up to the sound of leghorn squawking and when i opened the coop the mama was attacking the pair again, she must be bipolar :( any advice because the pair of leghorns are just hiding all day to keep from being seen

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It will take a couple weeks for them to establish their order. Unless there is blood, let them work it out. Have extra waterers and feeders so they can't be kept from eating or drinking.

8. chickeneer45

Sep 17, 2012
    thanks so much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by