*Really* confused now!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blue_Myst, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Let's rewind back several weeks ago. I noticed one of my chicks wasn't growing in tail feathers like the other chicks, so I asked about "her" on here, and apparently that's a sign that "she" is a rooster.

Now comes the part that is really confusing me. Now, at around 6 1/2 weeks old, he still looks like his sisters. His comb is only slightly bigger, if not the same size, has basically no wattles to speak of, but he still has hardly any more tail feathers than he did at three weeks of age! He's an RIR, so I thought I would have seen more signs of 'virility' by now.

I've heard that RIR's also come with different tails, I think they're called 'rumpless'? Could he actually be one of these? Or maybe he's just late with his comb and wattles?

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Hard to tell at this age because they grow at different rates. As they say you really don't know untill you hear em crow. LOL Good Luck

3. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    At what age do you normally KNOW you have a girl or a boy?

4. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    When they either crow or lay an egg. [​IMG] Frustrating isn't it. [​IMG]

5. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:Oh gees...and if you get 10 or more I'm sure it's really hard to tell WHO laid the egg...and who crowed without seeing it....(well the crowing part) and I'm guessing one crow and hubby might be having chicken soup for lunch! eeks.... [​IMG]

6. Blue_Myst

Feb 5, 2009
    I've heard that pullets get tail feathers within the first week, but I don't know how true this is [​IMG] This guy is the only one that didn't have tail feathers in the first week...and still doesn't! His legs may be slightly thicker and his comb slightly redder than his sisters, but, boy, he's really confusing me!

7. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I think that the tail feathers is a myth or breed dependent. I have a roolette that has blown a hole in most of the theories. He started getting a comb at 1 1/2 weeks and it is red already. Other than that, he has just as many feathers as the girls and even in the same places (wing bow, tail neck, back).

2 weeks old and he's on the right.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  8. Blue_Myst

Feb 5, 2009
    Wow! Mine is six weeks old and no where near that size of a comb! Like I said, I didn't know if that theory was valid or not. Seeing this picture, I see that it isn't always true. He's a pretty..I mean, handsome guy! [​IMG] If you don't mind me asking, what breed is he? I'm horrible with telling breeds apart.

Guess I'm back to square one! [​IMG]

This is a list I got from gritsar a while ago:
    According to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
    2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
    a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
    b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
    c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
    d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
    e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
    f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.

9. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    He is a Black Mottled D'Uccle bantam. His comb is bigger and more red now, a week later. I swear that thing grows everyday. I think he's going to be terribly handsome when he's older. He's also a pretty sweet guy, so far.

10. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Well that list didn't help me... [​IMG]

That list says each of my birds is half the time a boy and half the time a girl...soooo I pray it's WRONG, because I want two girls!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by