1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

? really confused on temp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gvntofly05, Jan 18, 2010.

1. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Okay so up until this morning when I locked down my temp was holding between 101.5 and 102 at the top of the eggs in an LG still air. My second therm on the mesh showed 99-100. Well I put the eggs in a carton added extra sponges to up humidity and now my therm on the top of the eggs has been sitting at 102.2 while the one on the mesh is showing 94-95. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    All I can think of is that heat rises, so the higher your thermometer, the warmer it will read. Adding a sponge is fine, but I try to add water that's 100 degrees, if it's cooler, you will have to wait longer. Hope this helps

3. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    The sponges with water were all added 8 hours ago, so I know it's not that.

I guess I will just make sure to keep the therm at the top of the eggs at 102* and not worry about the one down on the mesh.

4. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    correct. still air, thermometer needs to be on top of the eggs. it will read cooler on the wire. fan bators read the same everywhere. good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by