Really Confused (Updated!!!)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yoie, Jul 21, 2011.

1. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, I have an EE, Peanutbutter, that is about 5 months old. I am 99.9% sure that it is a girl. She has no pointy saddle or hackle feathers. She has been doing the egg squat to me and I have seen my rooster breed with her. I have yet to see an egg from her, my other two EE have layed eggs already. Now today I was out in the yard and I heard her doing this pathetic sound, like a roosters first crows! I have a rooster and he is at the top of the pecking order. Do hens normally crow with a rooster around, do I have a confused girl? [​IMG]
    Just in case here is a pic of her
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. Eggs-quisite Eggs-cursion

Eggs-quisite Eggs-cursion Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    If she's squatting and letting a rooster breed her, then I would have a really hard time believing she was a boy. Her coloring is also one common to female Easter Eggers. She could have a hormonal imbalance. Easter Eggers don't always lay at 5 months. Mine waited until 7 or 8 months.

3. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the reply! Peanutbutter just answered my question though! She layed an egg! A pretty light pink egg, I guess she is going to give a crow before she lays! [​IMG] My others give a nice typical egg song before an egg, I guess she has to be different [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  4. Eggs-quisite Eggs-cursion

Eggs-quisite Eggs-cursion Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Congrats to you and to Peanutbutter. [​IMG]

5. Poppafrog

Poppafrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Horn Lake MS
    YAY PEANUTBUTTER!!!!!1 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by