Really COOL Picture of YOLK stages during formation

aria122

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 2, 2011
Davis, CA
I had a laying hen than had to go...

It made me sad to cull a chicken that was laying, on the positive side, I got to see, for the first time the assembly line of yolks and forming egg that were being prepared inside the hen!

Seeing it in real life was fascinating!

The first (largest yolk on picture) was wrapped in it's white and paper thin shell that broke as I took it out. The rest were lodged in the center/back/ upper part of the rib cadge.

The smaller the yolk the more webs of arteries covered the outer-membrane, only the largest blood-free yolk was wrapped in white and was covered in a paper thin shell.

I've taken a picture with my computer camera.. not great on the quality.. but I still wanted to share.

78747_egg_yolks.jpg

Hope you will enjoy it as I did...

Last edited:
Yeah, I had read about the egg assembly process in a book when I was a kid. Totally different to see it in real life though.

The one thing that surprised me was how many really small yolks were already being prepared. There were already enough little yolks growing to lay over a whole month!

I truly am sorry, however I think that is one of the most interesting posts I have seen...Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom