really crazy HELP

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tgblldog70, Aug 3, 2011.

1. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    well I went out to collect the eggs for the day and clean the coop and I collected the 3 eggs and 1 yolk? The 4 hens have been laying for a few weeks and 1 of them layed a mush pile a few weeks ago outside under a bush but since then all was good until this morning , I found the yolk in the nesting box ?????? any ideas?

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Was there a soft shell also in the yoke mess? They sometimes can lay a soft egg or a rubber egg. Do they have calcuim that they can access? Are they eating layer food? I only feed the grower/finisher and they free range all day and I offer calcium in big bowls around.

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Have your girls just started laying recently or are they older hens?
    Young pullets bodies go through adjustments when they start to lay which can result in some weird eggs. Shellless eggs fall into this. Just make sure they have access to calcium suppliments along with their layer feed.

Older hens who are approaching the end of their egg laying abilities also go through that weird phase while their body is adjusting to the change.

4. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It was just a yolk no shell and there was a poke hole where I guess she had a little taste, as far as the food they are outside from 6-7am till 9pm and are feed grit,layer feed, fresh veggies (from our garden) fruit, fresh water 3 times a day, but late last night or early this morning there was a rain storm could this have stressed her out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by