1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

really dark blue or black color question pic heavy

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AHappychick, Nov 21, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    cant tell with this SG I thought black but when I was taking pics yesterday she looked mnore of a really dark blue. is there a way to tell like with feather shaft or down or something?

here are some pics of he with and without flash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that is the black pullet standing right behind the sg (well her butt anyway)
    [​IMG]

and here is a black pullet who I know is black taked the same day with the same lighting, but she is much older than the SG in question...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Looks like she is blue to me.

3. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh darn I really wanted a black [​IMG] not that she isnt nice cause I think she is but I wanted to breed her to my lav.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I agree blue. the flights are the giveaway when they sometimes both have lighter down a black bird can look almost blue, but if their hard flight feathers are blueish, they are genetically blue. If she is your best bird to breed to lavender, I'd say go for it and just choose the black chicks to go on with. Blue is about the easiest thing in the world to breed out, especially with only one copy of the gene. If she is split to lav, that complicates things, but if you had few choices I'd still use her and worry about the blue later.

5. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I agree with "onthespot" another way to tell is the undercolor. Dark blues will have a blueish undercolor almost a slate color, if it's black it will be a dark gray, smokey color. I agree the show girl looks blue to me. Do you have lavender in your blue line?? I've heard blues carrying lavender can create a darker based blue, also breeding blues to blacks can produce a dark blue.

Shari

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    In the first photos she looks blue, but in later ones black. Photos can be really difficult in determining these kinds of close calls--just a bit of a difference in lighting can make all the difference in how the photo looks. And that is not accounting for different computer displays. Your best bet is to take her outside in bright, but indirect natural lighting and compare to a bird you are absolutely certain is black.

7. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:thats sort of wht I tried to do with her an the blk silkie you see in the pic, its so hard with her, I guess I will wait a few more months. she is not a split to lav, I was going to use her to make splits and bring in the sg gene [​IMG] I think she has good type and my other sg are grey/grey partridge colors so they are throwing a lot of weird colors and I thought this one would make things easier.

I will have to look at her undertones again later also, I was hoping there was a feather shaft thing as with lavenders [​IMG]

eta while I have you on the thread Sonoran what do you think of them over all?

8. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:thats sort of wht I tried to do with her an the blk silkie you see in the pic, its so hard with her, I guess I will wait a few more months. she is not a split to lav, I was going to use her to make splits and bring in the sg gene [​IMG] I think she has good type and my other sg are grey/grey partridge colors so they are throwing a lot of weird colors and I thought this one would make things easier.

I will have to look at her undertones again later also, I was hoping there was a feather shaft thing as with lavenders [​IMG]

eta while I have you on the thread Sonoran what do you think of them over all?

Yes I think you should wait a few more months don't get dissapointed at all just wait!

9. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yes maybe disapointed is to stong a word, I just find it very hard to hatch solid blacks and especially solid blk show girls, either wy she will find a place in my breeding program. [​IMG]

10. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    What is the sg gene you refer to?
    David

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by