Really dumb Silkie ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tiki244, Aug 19, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I was looking at the little guys and they are at the akward stage of growing their feathers in and starting their top hats. I think they are cute though. Well anyway, the feathers on the heads look like little needles and I was wondering if you think it hurts for them to grow their head feathers? Like children when they teeth? I would really like to know what people think about this. Thanks

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    No, i don't think it's like teething. The quills come out, then they preen and break off the casing and the feathers fluff out. From watching them, it looks like it feels good.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Often they act dumb because they can't see. LOL

As for the pin feathers, they start out just like any other type of bird's pin feathers, so it would hurt them as much as the others. Just harder to preen the top of the head so they can be a bit ratty looking for awhile.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    another dumb ?

will they do it to each others heads? Preen I mean

5. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Not that I've seen, but they love eating each other's feathers. They'll fight over them. [​IMG]

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i've seen my silkies preen each other, willingly. One will stand there and let another one peck around the face and head and pick stuff off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by