Really early, I know....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by freedomrayn, Jan 6, 2013.

1. freedomrayn

freedomrayn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2012
    Okay, so I know it is really early...we ordered these babies, they came pre-sexed, but as youi know there is a margin of error for doing such. Two of the three chicks that were hatched on the same day look like the third picture. The first chick...well (s)he looks quite different. The three of them are only a few weeks old. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    if the first picture and the second one are the same bird yep you have a rooster

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Yeah sorry its a rooster.

4. LeslieDJoyce

LeslieDJoyce Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Sherwood, OR
    My Coop
    The one(s) with the comb are likely rooster(s) ... After I got the first 5 roosters who have amicably divided up the work for the flock, I always hold out hope that new chicks are all pullets until some of them start crowing and mounting the others. Then I finally have to admit ... rooster. [​IMG]

5. freedomrayn

Dec 4, 2012
    Yes, it's the same in the first and second photo. I read something in another thread about the unscientific way to tell them apart. It said if you go into a henhouse and accidentally sneeze all the pullets will run and hide, where the rooster won't really care. Yup, that's my guy right there. We purchased three so that we could keep one as an indoor pet, and friends were taking the other two. We became really attached to the rooster looking one as it is VERY friendly and mellow. I don't imagine my neighbors being understanding about crowing coming from our residence though:(

6. freedomrayn

Dec 4, 2012
    At the risk of sounding naïve, I would imagine that the cute little dance he has been doing prior to jumping on the other two, isn't his new jazz moves, lol. Oh geez, what luck I have:)

7. LeslieDJoyce

LeslieDJoyce Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Sherwood, OR
    My Coop
    Hahahahaha! Yeah ... that could be a sign. We have a rooster we adopted that we keep separate from the rest of the flock, but some of the hens like to escape the run and go visit him. He does the cutest courting dance ever! The other roosters don't bother anymore ... just snatch a hen and jump aboard. [​IMG]

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    that is a cockerel....i have never seen one "dance" at that young of any age just fight for a spot in the pecking order

9. freedomrayn

Dec 4, 2012
    It's definitely a dance prior to pouncing on them. The hens of course want nothing to do with him at this point. It's upsetting as he (now that we know he is a he) is the one we had become very attached to. Living where we do, having a rooster is not an option. Unlike with children, I doubt that redirection would stop a rooster from crowing:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by