Really excited to start my coop in KY

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lizsilverhammer, Jan 15, 2017.

1. lizsilverhammer

lizsilverhammer Just Hatched

Jan 15, 2017
    Hi all, just a little introduction of myself.
    My husband, kiddo, and I are super excited that we have decided to take on some backyard chickens!
    We have to build our coop, we're looking at a 10x10 area for 5-6 chickens. I know it sounds like a lot of room but that will give us an option to expand the numbers later. We've checked out city's zoning requirements, and we are following all the rules and regulations, so no worries there.
    Any advice would be wonderful! I'm a city girl so I've never really been into farm animals.
    We currently have 3 dogs and 1 fish (my son's).

Thanks! Hopefully we'll have the coop and run done before the spring to get my baby chicks out of the rooster (the heating box thing) and into their new how.
    How soon should I get these chicks? A time like would be wonderful :)

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Build your coop FIRST.
    Double check it to make sure it is dog proof.
    Then check it again to make sure the dogs can't get in/break into it.

Then decide what breeds of chickens you want....
    what do you want them for? eggs...meat?

Then go back and check your coop again.

THEN and maybe then get some chicks.
    (it's called a brooder...not a rooster)

Welcome to BYC.

If you want chicks for eggs....remember it can take a good 6 months before you ever see an egg.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, lizsilverhammer, and :welcome! Great to have you here at the beginning of your chicken journey! BYC is here to help you out should you have questions. Some great links to visit are below:
    The Learning Center is a collection of articles accounting for probably over 99% of the questions most folks ever have regarding chickens: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    Peruse the Coops Forum if you're still looking for coop ideas: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops
    In terms of when to take the chicks out of the brooder...a lot of that has to do with temps where you are. Chicks are just fine without heat when fully feathered - 4-5 weeks. So, you can time your ordering or purchasing of chicks for the anticipated completion of your coop! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

1 person likes this.
  4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and [​IMG] from a fellow BYCer in KY! There are a lot of great educational resources here, like the articles in the Learning Center (just saw that @redsoxs already provided a link).

There seems to be a preference for acquiring chicks in the spring (you'll see them in farm/feed stores, for example, from early spring through summer). Bear in mind that most pullets won't start laying until approximately 5 months from hatch, and that will vary by breed and conditions. Egglaying will usually drop off in winter, too.

My advice is to get some good reference materials (like Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens), do more research than you think you need to, and ask a lot of questions. From personal experience: make sure your coop is really well ventilated, especially for the heat of summer, and choose breeds that will do well in your climate.

Best of luck in your chicken keeping adventure!

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've received some good links and advice so I'll just say hello and thanks for joining us!

6. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

7. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens.

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Liz [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice, I will just wish you good luck for when your new feathered family arrive.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

10. Jiffyrocks

Jiffyrocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2017
    Louisville KY
    Hi! I am new to BYC and also in KY! =D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by