1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Really Green Poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eggcellent8, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Eggcellent8

Eggcellent8 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    My 20 week old Easter Egger has had some really green poop recently. She is the lowest in the pecking order and very skittish. I brought her inside the other day when it was really cold and she had an immediate character shift! She went from super skittish to really sweet. [​IMG] She is no longer frightened of people, and I've watched her eat and drink multiple times (although this is a difficult task since all of the chickens seem to despise her, not giving her many opportunities to eat at the feeder.) She is still active, not as much as before, but I think that's because she is not afraid of me. (I could be wrong)

Should I be concerned? This may not be a big deal, but if it is, I want to take care of it right away. I've grown quite found of little Nellie. [​IMG]

Here are some pictures of her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You can see the color of her poop on her feathers. Some of here droppings have been darker.

[​IMG]
    Whenever I let the chickens out to free range, she usually stays in the run to eat her fill. You can see how her wings are drooping some too. Is that a concern?

Thanks for looking! Hopefully Nellie is fine. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Drooping wings are usually a sing that they aren't feeling well. If you can, kep her inside, dust her for mites/lice and deworm her with Safeguard for Goats//Cattle (Fenbendazole).

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If she's got that "starvation" green, see if she is skin and bones. Are you sure she's eating or just pretending? Does her crop get full and empty over night? One of my roosters would eat but wasted anyway and died. He ate right up to the end. He got very tired on the end too.

I hope it's just the kind of green that means nothing.

4. Eggcellent8

Apr 14, 2012
    Thanks for the advice! Is there a chicken wormer? Or is it just as effective to use a goat/cattle one? How long would you keep her inside for? (I'll probably need a good solution for some sort of a diaper). Anything else I can do to help her feel better? I appreciate the help. I haven't done anything with sick chickens before.

Thanks again!

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    My vet told me to use Safeguard for Goats/Cattle (fenbendazole 100mg/ml) at the rate of 50mg/kg ( .5cc/kg) by mouth and repeat om 10 days. I usually put the sick ones in a plastic bin with a towel on the bottom and if they try to jump out, I use oven racks on the top.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  6. Eggcellent8

Apr 14, 2012
    Nellie died. [​IMG]We did everything we could. Oh well... We kept two chickens with her to keep her company, so I am going to isolate them for awhile to ensure that the whole flock doesn't get sick. Thank you for your help! Hopefully no one else gets it.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss... Can you send her off for a necropsy? Most states have a free or very inexpensive necropsy service for backyard poultry.

8. HippieChicken

HippieChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    One of my 4 week old babies has the "starvation" green poop I think you are referring to. [​IMG] I am hand feeding, but the baby is skin and bones. This is my first go around with chickens. She is a cross-beak, by the way. Her crop is full now and I am monitoring it to see if it is empty by morning. We almost culled her today and yesterday. But she has managed to perk up with the hand feeding each day. I keep hoping I can teach her to scoop up he food with the bottom beak. I guess I am on the "wait and see" route.

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hippie, I had a debeaked chicken. I just made sure the foot and water bowels were deep. She was nice and fat. Have you tried a wet mash?

10. HippieChicken

HippieChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Yeah, I tried wet mash and will continue trying it. I don't know if it is the wrong dish or wrong consistency. Still hand-feeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by