Really gross egg yolks! GAG!!!

CK Chickadilly

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
West Michigan
I have some new ISA brown hens & they lay some really nice jumbo eggs. I am treating them for coccidia & worms.

I cracked the eggs open this morning to scramble them up to give back to the girls since they are still moutling & have some feather issues.

What I noticed was that there are some blood spots in the yolks which I know can be common.

On 2 of the eggs there were like around 20 or so tiny blood spots covering the whole top of the yolk. What causes this, it seemed really gross !

There was another egg that had a blob of yucky looking stuff in it. That one was really making me gag! What is up with this problem?
sickbyc.gif

Can I give them vitamins or something that will take care of this. Is it alright to give the scrambled eggs to the girls & the dogs with all those disgusting blood spots & gunk (which I picked out).
sickbyc.gif

Eggs are kind of a gaggy thing for me to begin with. Now that I have seen this I don't know if I could ever eat an egg!
sad.png

Can you post any pic of the eggs?

I did have a new layer a couple weeks ago that almost the whole yolk was covered in blood spots. I can a 1/2 dozen or so from her like that then they where normal.

I personally would not feed them. Mostly because you said your treating the hens for worms and coccidia, I'd wait until after treatment, at least a week. But thats just me.

Last edited:
Quote:
S(he)'s not eating themm--but feeding them back to the chickens.

Can you desribe the yucky blob?

lol OOPS that was supposed to say "feed them".

Hey--your're from tilbury--I'm 10 minutes away from you!!!

And I think it would be all right to feed them back since they are the ones getting the meds anyways--right??

Quote:
lol OOPS that was supposed to say "feed them".

Hey--your're from tilbury--I'm 10 minutes away from you!!!

And I think it would be all right to feed them back since they are the ones getting the meds anyways--right??

Yea it should be okay to feed them back, I just said "I" wouldn't.

And yep, I'm in Tilbury, sort of, Merlin address, Tilbury phone #, LOL. What a small world! Do you find it impossible as I do to find chickens?!?

Ok. You guys are funny! LOL

I already dumped the yuck that was in the egg....sorry. But it was kinda like I thought it might be a fertilized little bugger but I don't have any roos & they are in lock down for a month here. But is it possible that the roo at the gals house last week that I got them thru could have fertilized them & it carries thru to this week yet? Does that even make sense? Makes me want to gag when I think of it!
sickbyc.gif

But why do some of the eggs have a ton of tiny blood spots? Is it a lack of vitamins or something?

Do you think that when I get them back to really good health they will have better quality eggs (inside)?
smile.png

Thanks y'all!
smile.png

It's just a blood vessel bursting along the oviduct, nothing serious. Some are genetically predisposed to laying eggs with blood and meat spots. You should have seen one egg I got-terribly bloody inside. Looked like a war zone! Ick. The only one I've ever had that way, ever.

Are you sure that the "yucky blob" wasn't the chalaza? Sometimes they are bigger and more goobery looking in one egg than in others...

Back
Top Bottom