Really Gross Icky Sticky Poop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hensnchix, Jul 4, 2007.

1. hensnchix

hensnchix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2007
    Hi all. One of my four chicks (not sure which one) is pooping runny, black, puddles of sticky poop. Definitely not the nicely formed greenish-brownish poops of the other chicks. (Looks like meconium, for those of you who have had human babies.)

They're all on medicated feed. Any thoughts on what it could be or what I should do? I'm spending a lot of time watching chick butts to see who might be emitting it, but I still haven't caught anyone in the act.

Susan

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hmm.. Are you sure it is only one chick? Could it be the cecal poo? That is dark in color and creamy melted chocolate looking.

3. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I agree, could be cecal. That stuff smells AWFUL. Even now, my 7wk old girls are in the henhouse and run. Whenever someone has one within 5 feet of me I know it. Irritating when I've just cleaned the chicken house and only expect to smell clean shavings!

That said.. I did notice when my girls were much littler that any sort of stress would cause runny poo. At the time they were still in the house. I had let them loose on the floor in the living room and all but one chick had this. So... I wound myself up, did huge research on the web.. then I observed my chicks. Maybe an hr had passed.. and all poops were back to normal and everyone is still fine and thriving.

On the other hand, if it IS just one chick every poo, I'd say try to figure out who it is and seperate until you know for sure what's going on.

-Meghan

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  4. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    Like everyone said, it's probably not just one chick. The cecal poo comes in many varieties, as I have discovered. Yesterday there was a solo, black, almost tar-y poo that gave me a bit of panic. But then I realised they had spinach a few hours before [​IMG] Spinach seems to have that effect on all living creatures, lol!

I have no factual information to support this, but I also think excitement causes it. I tend to see them doing it a lot when I first let them out and then it stops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by