Really in Need of Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CluckyBoss, Mar 30, 2012.

1. CluckyBoss

CluckyBoss Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    I have a chick that I'm afraid is sick, any help what so ever would be greatly appreciated.

This chick was one of the first to pip on the 27th of march, and last night, march 29th at around 12:40 a.m,

he finally hatched. First, his 'elbows' were swollen when he hatched. He also has sores, ALL OVER HIM. He hatched with them, they were there when he came out of his shell. On his wing is a giant cut, on his beak he has cuts, and on his elbows, he has cuts. His legs are splayed, which i'm attemting to fix right now with a

band-aid splint. Currently he cannot lift his head. He is desperately trying to stand, with-out any luck. But please, can anybody tell me - could he have a disease? I need to know because he is being housed in the same room with not only my other chicks, but

my parrots. I'm trying to avoid culling him, but I understand it may be the right thing. Thankyou

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. KLRA

KLRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    Wow I've never heard of anything like this before. Did you post in the emergencies part of the forum? Pictures might be more helpful to those who know more about this sort of thing. I'm sorry I can't help you : /

3. CluckyBoss

Feb 26, 2012
    Me either, thankyou so much for replying, even though you are not sure of my problem with this guy. I'll definately post in the emergencies part aswell.

4. CluckyBoss

Feb 26, 2012
    I put him in a sling to help with his head and wobbliness, he is holding his head up, and very eager to drink. But still, cannot walk.

5. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    First thing I would do is get a hair band to use instead of the bandaid, it seems to work better and quicker, at least it did for me, with in 24 hours I was able to take the hair band off because the leg problem would be corrected, never heard about cuts sores after hatching. Have dealt with swelling, second thing I would do is give him a drop of vitamin. I particularly like polvisol, see if you can get him to get some strength, the head thing could be wry neck in that case he will also need some vitamin e. I have dealt with a lot if wry neck chickens in my time but mine were always older. Never had one with it that was just born. So I would start off with the baby vitamin see if that helps any.

6. CluckyBoss

Feb 26, 2012
    Thankyou, I'll see if I can't pick up polyvisol tomorrow... How do you tie the hair band around the legs? Thankyou for your reply!!

7. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Give me a second I will see if I can find the link. Is the little guy able to eat, of course since he just hatched he can go a few days without but some like to eat right away.

8. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
  9. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    can't say about the sores but they can cut themselves attempting to hatch sometimes. especially if they were a bit stuck for a while. i've had several like yours they don't move around quite right, if they've got other chicks to be with, that seems to help a lot. as for the splayed legs, i use a short glass with a paper towel tucked down into it, put him in it and leave in the incubator for a few more hours. the cup helps keep him upright and his legs from splaying but he can still move around some to 'exercise'. usually by the time they're 6-8 hours old the head problem is fixed and by 12 hours they're up and running around like regular chicks.

as for the sores, are you sure they're sores not just dried on goo from the egg? ive had a few that were messy hatches and the fluff was matted down and didn't fluff on it's own. those chicks had baths in running water about 100 degrees, and massaged with a finger to remove the gunk.

pics would definitely help identify the issue for sure.

10. CluckyBoss

Feb 26, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by