1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Really!!?? MIDNIGHT!!!???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by allmychickens, Sep 23, 2011.

1. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    My mom was up at 1 in the morning and my Rooster was crowing! It was pitch dark!! My mom will make me get rid of him if he crows at midnight!!!! HES MY FAVORITE CHICKEN!!!! WHAT CAN I DO!!!!

2. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    Keep it as dark as possible in the coop at night. Even light from cars passing by. Some roosters as soon they see the littlest amount of light they think it is time to wake everyone up.

3. allmychickens

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    okay... won't that stop the hens from laying though!!

4. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Mine always started about 3:00 am...sometimes, he would hold off till 4:00
    I agree with the above post....something was disturbing him...though those silly fellers like to start early!

5. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    Keeping the coop dark at night is not going to effect your chickens laying. Now if you kept them in the dark 24/7 that would be a different story. Something is causing him to want to crow at night. Usually light. Like I said even a car passing by can start them crowing. Personally I would start with shutting out the light sources at night.

Also, how old is he? If young he could still be learning his "job". Is this the only time she has heard him? Maybe it will just be a 1 time thing!!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  6. allmychickens

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    okay thanks I'll put a curtain over the window and close the door at night

7. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    One of my neighbors said he heard mine at 2 am a few weeks ago. I had to laugh cause The Duke isnt a loud crower, but in the quiet of the night anything is possible! With my last flock i had a black curtain over the window in the coop and that kept my very vocal crower quiet till morning.

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by