1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Really miffed off hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SAHMof2, Jan 30, 2011.

1. SAHMof2

SAHMof2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Just wondering if anyone has ideas on why my hen, as far as I can tell one of 8), squawks really really loud and for a really really long time if you disturb her while laying.

I cannot tell my RSL apart from eachother other then some seem smaller then others but I'd guess its one of the larger girls. Each time you go into the coop while she's sitting she gets right loud.

Is she the dominate female?

TIA

2. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Hard to tell from the information provided. One of my hens is (usually) dramatic and vocal if she is disturbed while laying. Another one got that way when she was broody. You can check out my broody hen blog posts for more info.

3. SAHMof2

SAHMof2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Definitely dramatic and miffed. lol.

Seems she'd peck my fingernails off if given the chance. Fortunately for both of us I'm too afraid of her when she makes all that racket.

Thanks for the blog.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by