Really need help on sexing our 5month olds!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Sophia12003, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Sophia12003

Sophia12003 New Egg

Jan 5, 2014
    Hello everyone, really could do with some help sexing our new peacocks. The parents are Indian Blues and most babies we have had hatch have always been the standard colour. These I presume are grey shouldered but it looks like some blue is appearing on the neck. The two like this are identical.

Are there any other give aways other than looks, tail, egg laying etc...

Look forwards to hearing some of your ideas!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Arbor

Arbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    That's a male Indian blue Blackshoulder

3. Sophia12003

Sophia12003 New Egg

Jan 5, 2014
    Oh really...just with a lot more white in. They are not the usual type of dark males we have hatched. Thank you anyway :)

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    They go threw several color phases before they mature and get their adult colors.

Perhaps one that raises them on here can post up some color phse photos for you when they see this.
    [​IMG]

5. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Hmm..not sure what you mean?
    What do you mean by "dark males"? The regular-looking India Blue chicks?
    This may not be helpful, but here are some (too many!) pictures of our India Blue Black Shoulder girl chick:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ts-and-i-mean-that-in-the-nicest-possible-way

Oops! edited to add
    [​IMG] !!!!
    And, keep the pictures coming, we are very fond of pictures here in the Land O' Peas!!!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  6. Sophia12003

Sophia12003 New Egg

Jan 5, 2014
    Yes, sorry hard to explain. We hatched a bird 2 years ago...same colours roughly, but turned out to be a girl. This is her
    [​IMG]

The current two are very simular to this but with more blue/green on the neck. I cant imagine they are going to turn into the classic looking male like their father below...
    [​IMG]
    The usual chicks that turn out like that are more plain brown if that makes any sense :)

7. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Yes, that makes perfect sense!
    It is hard to believe that they can go from looking like they do to looking like an adult male BS.
    I'm sure you know that they won't look quite like your classic IB male (because, of course, they'll have black shoulders!)
    Your BS girl is cute! Is she the mom of your new BS peaboy?

8. Just to back up New 2 Peafowl, that bird will molt out and look just like your picture of the IB male but will have black iridescent wings instead of barred wings. They change that much.

9. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Here is a pic of 2 yearling Black Shoulder males, about halfway to their adult coloring. [​IMG][​IMG]

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by