Really need help with a hen and white liquid!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by legit chickens, Jan 28, 2017.

1. legit chickens

legit chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Hi guys,
    So recently my flock was infected with mites. We are working our best to try to help the chickens at the moment. But I have noticed that my Golden Laced Wyandotte hen that is around 10 months old has white gooey liquid coming out of her vent. She has also been puffing her feathers and getting mad at us every time we go near her which is very unusual because she is a very friendly chicken. I was wondering why there is white liquid coming out of butt. Also if you know a good way to cure mites in a flock please help me out. Can mites affect egg laying abilities?

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Ok, I'm not sure but others will peep in with their expertise. I've raised chicks from hatch to 6 - 8 wks but never had older ones until now. Have you tried typing "white liquid from vent" in the search box? It may bring up some ideas as to the possibilities but I'm guessing and I hope I'm wrong, a issue with maybe an egg cracked in her or egg bound or some issue of that sort. As for the mites, type "mite" in the search box and you'll get alot of information. Again from reading, Poultry Dust with PYRETHRINS, I've read some use ivermectin, dust bath with wood ash and there's more. You also would need to clean out their coop, there are sprays.

Using the search box helps get an idea and figure out what you need. Good luck

[​IMG] Eggcessive is very good with her/his assessments! Has been very helpful with my issues.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chickens pass white urates in their droppings. Normally you will see a little white cap on most brownish green droppings. This is their kidney waste. When they are having runny droppings, they may look mostly white. I'm not a vet, but I think that white urates, if in an abundance, may be a sign of kidney stress or damage. Runny poops may be a sign of an infection, worms, or some other sickness. I would urge you to get a fresh couple of droppings to get them checked by a vet for coccidiosis and worms.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by