Really need help with coop plans.

thegospelisgood

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 12, 2013
So, some unexpected home repairs have set me back a little. But the chickens are still here, still growing, and going to need a coop soon.

I have spent about 8 hours scouring the internet and the forums for coop plans...particularly out of pallets. I have the coop book and another "art of the chicken coop" book. I cannot however swing 800-1000 for a 6-8 chicken coop.

Anyone...anyone please!!! Share a link to some plans...with instructions to help a brother out?

The chickens need you!

as chickenperson has provided, there are lots of free and "pay for" plans out there. If cash is tight, I don't recommend any because I can attest that it will get more expensive as you build it. You could easily build one from used pallets if you are creative. Prior to building mine, I read somewhere a comment that I did not really take to heart until way after I built my coop.... "chickens don't care what they live in". They need food, water, and adequate shelter (depending on your location) from the wind, rain, weather etc. I would suggest you scour your local craigslists ads, yard sales, flea markets, recycle swap shops, etc and see what you can find to use. Think outside the box when looking at items, especially free stuff. Things I have seen used.... truck camper covers, old storage buildings, little tykes kids playhouses, used shipping crates.

Check with any local mattress stores, locally i see them throw away pallets that are queen and king size! I keep thinking that they may be the beginning of my next coop.

Your going to need to help yourself more than anything. Your chickens look like they have a couple weeks to get ready for an outdoor coop from your posted photo. If that is current.

Your climate will dictate a lot of what you/chickens need. Where you live plays a big role. I have a small pallet coop for QUAIL on my page to give a basic/simple look at what can be done with free material.

Search around on the coop page and you will see enough ideas to get you brainstorming.

You may be best served financially to build a hoop house. Just a suggestion.

CHICKEN WIRE IS CHEAPER. If you need to stretch a dollar use chicken wire instead of hardware cloth. If you have access to reclaimed wood or even just old lumber from another project, use it.

Best of wishes to ya.

If "style" isn't important, this is a great little coop setup that would be adequate for a few chickens to start with: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-build-a-4-x-4-x-8-brood-pen. I made one and use it as a brooder for older chicks or small breed groups. I have also modified the basic plan to make a solid enclosed 4x8 coop with a door on the long side to go in a larger pen and can do one really easy with all new materials for about $150. It has very well described plans, too!

Well. I live in Southeast Michigan. And...Spring won't show up until at least mid-April around here. The chicks are coming up on 4 weeks old. I can easily accommodate them in a dog kennel in the basement to buy building time.

I have lots of access to pallets on a daily basis...close by also.

I just need some rough instructions.

No plans. . All pallet/scrap wood.

Back
Top Bottom