Really need help

swifty

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 17, 2012
Hi we are new to the chicken world and we are loving it. We have two Bantam silkies and two Bantam Pekins. Three are girls and one is a very proud rooster. We have hatched two beautiful chicks so far about a month ago that we have no idea what they are??? Everyone, except Rooster had a turn at sitting on them two but the two silkies sat the longest.
My major concern is that my little pekin girl is sitting on three eggs and has been for close to 30 days! She comes out to eat and dirt bath everyday but goes back to the eggs. We have candled and they all look dark on one half of the egg. My questions are will she know when they are no longer viable, How long is too long to let her sit? We do not have an incubator as I am happy to let nature take its course. We don't even know if she laid the eggs? They all share a bed and are really happy spoilt chickens/ family members! Any assisatnce would be great, we love her and dont want her getting sick for sitting too long!!!
Thanks
Sam
D.gif

Hi Sam.
Are these chicken or duck eggs.(Pekin?)
If chicken eggs, they're no good and should be discarded before they make a mess. If duck eggs they're only 2 days late which is not uncommon in duck eggs. I wouldn't keep them much longer though.Hope this helps.

Hi i am Sam's daughter, they are chook eggs. How do I get rid of her broodyness once i get rid of the eggs?

now my silkies will do the same thus I end up with different hatch dates on eggs. Mine do quite on their own but some will sit for 3 months. Candle eggs about every 5 to 7 days to make sure they are good, yours sound dead. remove these before the flys get to them and her. Blow flys will lay eggs and they will eat her alive. if she still wants to sit than give her fresh eggs and keep candling them and make sure she eats. good luck

Thanks for your help guys. Sadly we got rid of the eggs, will try again when she becomes broody and we get some more fertilized eggs.

Back
Top Bottom