Really Need Some HELP, Please!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WRVgirl, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WRVgirl

WRVgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    My eggs are fertile. I have been checking the yolks and they all have the little white bullseye on them showing that they have definitely been fertilized.

But, I put some under my broody and also gave some away for free on here, and people are telling me that their eggs aren't growing.

Sure enough, I checked my broody's eggs last night (day 7 under her) and there was no sign of life or growth.

What happened? Why are these eggs fertile but not growing?

What did I do wrong, and how do I fix it?

Any insight would be wonderful because I'm really confused.
    Thank you.

2. WRVgirl

WRVgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    Also wanted to add that my eggs are collected while they're still warm...I'm a SAHW right now with nothing better to do than stalk my chickens.

And I put them in a turner until I ship them.
    The room they're in stays a constant temperature as well.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You're absolutely positive you're seeing a bullseye? How long has your hen been sitting on them?

Now that I've asked a bunch if questions, I'll add some ideas :) If its really cold where you are its possible that your hens daily breaks from the eggs has killed them. AND, if you shipped the eggs you gave away, rough shipping and cold temps could have doomed them as well. That's really the only problem I could think of. If you have an incubator, you could collect some and test this theory. If they develop in your bator, then I would suspect the cold even more....good luck!
    Nikkk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by