Really nice people here

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by dave27889, Jan 22, 2009.

1. dave27889

dave27889 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Washington, NC
    This messages goes to everyone here in a bad situation or to the people that have helped them.

I have a very bad back. I actually broke my back at L4 and L5. I had two major operations in less than 6 months in June of 1994 and Jan 1995. I won't even go through the pain and dread I went through or the uglyness of trying for disability. I finally got it several times during the past 14 years. We also went through our entire savings and even borrowed so money to get by. We have three great kids. The oldest Brad is from my first marriage and he is 29 years old and married. The other two are Paul 19 and Helen 16. They are by the love of my life and Wife of 21 years Paula. They have all been there for me and Paula is a School Teacher and the best wife and friend any man could have. I have known her since 4th grade and loved her since we were 15 years old. She got away from me for a while but has been with me for the last 23 years.
    Back to the back stuff. I have had two more back operations in the past 8 years after the first two failed. The last one was 4 years ago and I was fused at 5 levels in my lower back and really needed more but did not want any more than the 5 that were fused. I tried getting back on disability but to no avail. They said I was educated well and there should be something I could do. They said this to a man on three narcotics pain killers, muscle relaxers, nerve pain medication and several other medications. I tried going back to work. I have been an electrician and maintenance tech for over thirty years. I was an auto mechanic and sold cars with my family before that. I have always worked with and for family and friends on the side doing most anything mechanical or dealing with animals. I also did offshore fishing as a hobby and for sport. My wife Paula was right there with me. Paula also helped me do mechanical stuff by passing me things and getting parts. I also worked at the local school bus garage during the summers while I was 13 to 16. I was hit by a drunk driver two weeks after I went on summer vacation when I turned 16. I broke my neck at t3 and compressed two of the other vertabra in my neck. I went form 5 feet 11.5 to 5 feet 10.5. I was in the hospital for two months in traction and went home to a hospital bed for another month. I started back to high school in a neck brace and no stairs. I had also had been a very good footballplayer, a decent wrestler and a pretty good baseball player. I was also decent at track. I was no star but was on the college radar in football and baseball. My dad was a triple a pitcher and I just loved football. I had to give that all up until my senior year when we got a new football coach. I went to another town and got my physical and went to summer practice and nobody squilled on me until my father found out. I never got to play football again. I was recuited by a N.C. small college to play football. I passed on it but I still love highschool and College football.
    Anyway today is my 50th birthday. I have to undergo a few test next week because at the end of last spring I tried going back to work at a Farm supply company in town. I was selling parts. I moved some plow points on a bottom shelf and pop went something. I left for home at quitting time and went to feed my chickens and down I went. This happened several times and I took meds and went to bed. The wife and kids were great that night and waited on old Dave. I tried going to work the next day and when I started down my steps down I went. I dragged myself into the house and called my son at school. He came home and wecalled doctors. I went to the emergency room and they took pictures and sent me home. They called the next day and told me the following. I had broken my fusion apart, I had broken all the screws in my back except the two at the top and the two at the bottom. I had also bent the titaminum rods in my back. I am screwed. I have to have test done next week to give the docs some idea what to do with me. I died on the table last operation for four mins. I came back just as they started to hit me with the paddleds. ( Something to think about ). I had a really hard time healing last time and now my back surgeon has had a heart attack and then open heart surgery. I now have to go back to my old surgeon's office. They are pretty nice but they don't lay things out like old doctor Harvell did. He got straight to the point.
    Well my family and friends are still there for me but some complete strangers at BYC have made me feel really good. People I have never met say such nice things to me and wish me well. Several people have offered me several kinds of poultry to replace the ones I had to sell. I have three nice people that are sending me eggs this coming week. Some of these are test eggs and some are the RIR's I so long for. My wife and kids are going to help dad raise these because they know I love the eggs and watching the chickens as they go about their day. It gives their old dad something to do. I want to thank all of the people that have wished me well and that are helping me along. I also want to thank anyone reading these thoughts by an old guy think of better days. Maybe 50 won't be so bad. I guess it's better than not turning fifty if you know what I mean. Thanks to the ownwer of this site it has given me lots of joy and I intend on staying around to see how things go. I look forward to whatever live brings me and I do thank GOD for still being around. For those of you that are atheist. I respect your beliefs and admire your thoughts and science. I just believe another way. Thanks to all and if you want to drop me a line pm me here or send an email to [email protected]. Best wishes to all on this January 22nd, 2009 My 50th birthday. I'm glad to be here. Thanks, Dave27889
    P.S. I am still fighting for disabitlity and I even have my Congressman on my side this time. Wish me luck.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. Polly the farmers wife

Polly the farmers wife Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2008
    That's really nice. I hope lot's of people read this. Take care and we wish you the very best and hope your situation improves.

3. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Sorry to here of your troubles, I will pray for you. I will also pray that your disability comes through. Hang in there, we are all pulling for you. [​IMG]

Oh edited to add HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!! I got a couple silkie/cochin mixed 9 week old chicks you can have if your can get to edgecombe county, lol

4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    Wishing you a happy 50th. I turned 50 a few years ago, it's a great place to be. Hope your disability comes through real soon and that your back gets to heal up and not give you so much pain.
    Have fun with those chicky babies.

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi Dave!

So sorry to hear of all the problems that you've been dealing with and hope things get better for you soon. Will keep you in my thoughts!

I hope you have a wonderful birthday! [​IMG]

Dawn

6. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    well sounds like we are in the same shape, i have L4, L5,L6 that i am going to have a cage put in it's place, and have COPD and had three heart attcats and one stroke. going to brain spec on the 29th of this month just to see how bad things are, have lost all feeling in left arm and left leg. but I still have the will to try to do all i can, and do most of the time. i was a truckdriver for most of my life and smoked three packs of cigs ( and still do) but tring to stop. lol don't sleep but about 4 or 5 hours aday because i stop getting air when i do, so they say i die 30 or 40 times a night (have a alarm on me when i sleep so it wakes me up to breath) but in all when i get up i thank god for giving me the light of the day one more time and for all the fine people that i come in contact with. so my prayers are with out and know that thing could be worst. hope you get better your fellow BYCer william9792 can send e-mail at [email protected] or pm

7. Polly the farmers wife

Polly the farmers wife Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2008
    Wrong place this time.

8. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    happy birthday!!

9. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Hey, have a great birthday Dave! Good luck with everything, I truly hope it all works out for you. [​IMG]

10. ChevygirlBeth

ChevygirlBeth Chillin' With My Peeps

Happy birthday! My dad just turned 50 this month, too!

I'm so sorry to hear of all your stuggles with your back. I can't even imagine the pain you have suffered. I'll keep you and yours in my prayers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by