really odd chick.. 2 vents.. any one have any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shadowpaints, Jul 23, 2011.

1. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    had a chick hatch under a broody hen this afternoon, when i picked it up i noticed some blood, looked under its tail and it has TWO vents! anyone deal with this before?

2. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    any one ? i didnt think the chick would survive the night but its still alive this morning!

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Can u get a picture? Is it possible it ripped its umbilical cord when it hatched creating what looks like a hole? I've seen posts about extra legs and such, but not about extra poop chutes.....

4. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    i tried taking a pic, but my camera isnt very good at all. the pics are just too blurry to see anything both holes look JUST like a vent, with one under the tail and one about 1/2 inch under it. i have seen many chicks hatch and never seen this!

im hoping it survives it seems stronger today!

5. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    well, its still alive,so maybe it will be fine [​IMG]

6. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    wow...very interesting. it would be great to see it if you have a friend or family member with a better camera. could be useful for others in the future in addition to satisfying our curiosity! hope that the little chick survives!
    [​IMG]

7. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    rumpy (lol) seems to be doing well! eating and drinking good! i think it will be ok! ill try to get a pic with my roomies camera tonite

8. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    From the weird stuff I've seen on places like Discovery Channel, like Siamese twins, or kids born with both sets of reproductive organs or one where the person was basically a twin with one half of their body having one genetic signature and the other half another genetic signature perhaps this little chick is just one of those rare oddities. It may do just fine. As for suggestions, I think I'd just keep an eye on it and provide the same care I would a normal chick. What if it grows up to lay twice the amount of eggs! You might have a very valuable bird on your hands.[​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sounds like the umbilicus, from the location of the second one, not a vent. That should be closed or close up soon after hatch or bacteria will get in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by