Really odd duck question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JulieNKC, Oct 28, 2011.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Ok, I have 3 ducks. An ancona hen, a khaki hen, and a blue mutt drake. My drake isn't as old as I was told I believe, or not into my girls. Haven't seen any hanky panky. [​IMG] He doesn't have a drake feather yet, but is bigger than the girls and has a raspy quack. My little delaware x cochin rooster is around 18 weeks and starting to be into the ladies though. My problem is that the lady he seems to be into is my khaki hen. Poor girl flirts with anything that gets close to her. I know they won't create little duck/chicken crosses, but what I'm wanting to make sure of is that when the drake finally starts doing his thing, that she'll be receptive to him? I don't want her to decide she likes the rooster better, lol. I mean, I'm glad everyone gets along and all, but somethings I prefer they keep amongst their own species at least. [​IMG]

2. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Do you have a pool? My ducks only mate in a pool. And in the mornings... Just sayin'. [​IMG]

3. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    yeah i only see playing (i have all females tho) in the pool...

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    It seems the high level of hormones has confused them a little [​IMG] except for your drake [​IMG]

I think she will submit to the drake just fine once his hormones surge.

5. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    scratch'n'peck :

I think she will submit to the drake just fine once his hormones surge.

2X As far as I can tell by looking out my kitchen window... I don't think she'll have much of an option [​IMG]

6. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Upshur County, Texas
    My first thought on the thread title: I don't think there's such a thing as an "odd duck question" on the BYC boards! LOL

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:2X As far as I can tell by looking out my kitchen window... I don't think she'll have much of an option [​IMG]

X3 couldn't have said it better myself.. [​IMG]

8. Nu Chix To Cash

Nu Chix To Cash Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Central Iowa
    Quote:2X As far as I can tell by looking out my kitchen window... I don't think she'll have much of an option [​IMG]

[​IMG] That was my thought. We call our male runner the rapist. Our hens can't out run him.

9. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    I think you should try the duck-chicken cross and show us what happens! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    They do have a kiddie pool, but as much as the girls bob their heads and flirt my boy duck just doesn't seem to get it. [​IMG] I fill it up, then go spy on them from where they can't see me, thinking maybe he's got stage fright, but they just have a platonic relationship going so far.
    Lol, thanks everyone. Happy to be reassured that her fling with my rooster is just temporary, hopefully. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by