Really, really, really bad luck.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by abbadackerygirl, Aug 1, 2014.

1. abbadackerygirl

abbadackerygirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2012
    Ft. Hood, Texas
    Hey y'all, how's it goin?

I just have been having a horrible time here. About eight weeks ago I purchased a baker's dozen of baby coturnix, hoping at least 6 of them would be hens, wanting the eggs. Well, we lost two early on, and eleven out of thirteen ain't that bad but, when they matured, I ended up with SEVEN roos and only four hens. Somehow, my dog was able to get one last week, and darn if it wasn't a hen. :mad: ...which of course it was. So then there were three.

Yesterday, I had a fowl time getting the roos "dressed" for dinner, (which was hard because I raised them from day 1,) and today I looked in the coop and saw a bloody egg dragging from one of my precious hens. "Uh oh," I thought, then I grabbed her and ran her butt under some water to try and loosen the egg, only to realize that it actually had burst out through the side of her cloaca! Poor baby! They hadn't laid any eggs yet, and I didn't realize she was bound as she was eating and drinking ok. It was only when I actually saw the egg that I knew she was in trouble.

Since she was well doomed, I quickly dispatched her and did an impromptu necropsy, and saw that she had three full sized eggs right behind the first, which was a rubber, and she had at least five immature eggs behind those. The only thing I can think of was that she actually tried to produce several at once, or the first, (which wasn't big at all, but it was a rough rubber egg,) got stuck and plugged up the works. I felt so bad for her, and I am worried about my remaining two hens. Have I done something wrong? Did I wait too long to cull the roos? They were getting rough, but we just moved to our ranch and my husband and I were quite busy, and frankly, I wasn't looking forward to the deed and kept putting it off. Could they have injured her in some way? Seven against three is pretty bad, I know, but they were only at it for a few days at most, and in a very large coop. Or is it just one of those things?

Should I give extra calcium to the hens? They are on chick starter, does it have enough calcium, or should I switch to a game bird feed? I thought the high protein would be better for them, as the game bird feed only has something like 19%, which sounds a bit odd to me.

Should I proactively oil the other hen's cloacas, just in case? I don't want to lose any more; my three year old is banking on her quail eggs.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  2. abbadackerygirl

Apr 20, 2012
    Ft. Hood, Texas
    Guys, I really need some advice...I've only got two left.

3. Dragons4u

Dragons4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Ohio
    If they are old enough to lay, try getting some kind of game bird laying feed if you can.
    Definitely get them on a game bird feed or turkey starter and provide crushed oyster shell with it.
    Chick feed doesn't have enough protein in, which can lead to developmental problems.

4. abbadackerygirl

Apr 20, 2012
    Ft. Hood, Texas
    The one they're on is 24% protein, plus they get a bunch of mealworm treats.

Good news though, one of them just laid the prettiest egg. Her first one, and it's perfect, and Lordy, is it ever huge! I didn't think their first would be so big. As far as developmental issues, we haven't had any problems. Legs are nice and straight and the roos I culled the other day had nice meat and strong bones. So not all bad I guess...

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Prolapse can just be the result of an accident of nature. It is not very common among quail unless someone has bred them for large eggs and gone too far. If that is the case and you continue to experience prolapses with these birds then I would recommend not breeding them further. Typically the only way for you to cause a prolapse is to greatly increase the protein percentage of the food suddenly (for example feeding chicken food one day and 24% gamebird feed the next)

6. abbadackerygirl

Apr 20, 2012
    Ft. Hood, Texas
    Yes, these are supposed to be Jumbo quail, and I gotta say, their eggs are pretty big by comparison, poor things. I got them from a small farm in Austin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by