really sad day need advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tomgood, Sep 9, 2010.

1. tomgood

tomgood New Egg

Aug 25, 2010
    yesterday a visitor to my house let one of the dogs into the chick room:( he had killed two of them by the time i got there (about 20 seconds) and had my new orloff in his mouth, the bird was still alive with no wounds so i let it rest for a while and went back to it. it can just about stand now but theres a ticking sound in its chest and its very weak have given it some water via a syringe and it seemed to help ,but how often should i do this and is there any thing else i can do.by the way the chick is three weeks old

2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

all I can offer is my sympathy.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Put some electrolites in the water. I'd also offer scrambled egg or some other treat to encourage eating. I'd watch closely to make sure the chick was eating daily, as you wouldn't want one slowly starving to death. Hopefully it's just shock reaction, and not some internal injury, and it'll snap out of it within another day or two.

4. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Also, ask the mods to move this to the Emergencies and Diseases section for more possible responses. Might want to describe specific problem in the post title. I wish you the best of luck with this poor chickie.

5. sunshine23

sunshine23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    How sad [​IMG] I really hope this chick makes it, keep us updated

6. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    The "ticking sound" makes me wonder if there is a leak in her lung??? am I making a horse into a zebra????
    How's her breathing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by