1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Really Sad Question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 7Maples, Aug 1, 2011.

1. 7Maples

7Maples Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2010
    We just had a rabbit die. Our favorite of course. We don't know a whole lot about what kind of diseases they can get so I was hoping someone would have a clue as to if this is something we should worry about any of our other animals catching.

She was usually very energetic, hopping around in her bunny condo. Would always greet you when you opened the hatch to feed, pet, and take care of them. She would eat grass, clover, hay, sunflowers, lettuce and a bunch of things that I've checked were ok to give to rabbits. I'd top off there food every couple days and gave them greens as well. We've had her since March, she was a month old. Think she was part California giant she was getting so very big, where as the 3 others we have are all about the same size. She ate her pellets, and drank all normally before but yesterday we found her very lethargic, diarrhea, she wasn't drinking or eating much. She'd lost a bit of weight, I thought maybe the heat got to her so even with giving them fresh water morning and afternoon, ice bottles in their cages and ice cubes should they want them. We brought her inside, cleaned her up and kept her in a little while, while we set up the separate cage for her. She dried off and gave her some fresh lettuce (not iceberg, never iceberg) carrots and cucumbers fresh from the garden, wetted down some so she'd get some fluids.

She perked up with all of that. Started moving a lot more, like her old self. So we put her out in her cage, set her up all nice and cozy with a planter of the growing fresh lettuce that she could munch on should she want any. The first part of today she seemed normal. Hopping around all spunky like, then settling down with the temperature climb. I did everything I normally do; fresh water, food, ice and bottle. She had reach of greens. Didn't look like she had a poopy butt. We'd check every couple hours and she was fine. We got home, checked still fine, then after eating my dad goes out and he comes back in saying "she's dying. Her back legs are stiff." She was gasping for breath, back legs so stiff, not moving other than gasping, then she arched her back and her breathing got even shallower. Stopped breathing but heart beating so fast. She died shortly after.

What the heck just happened?! I made sure anything I gave them wasn't going to hurt them. When I gave them apple pieces, made sure there were no seeds.... I just am so freaking confused. Our male, Leo, is going to be so heartbroken. She was his woman.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

I'm so sorry, When I worked a vet clinic. The number one illness that came in for rabbits was hair balls stuck in the stomach. It was very common to see. I don't know if thats what was wrong. Just an idea. So sorry!

3. 7Maples

Sep 3, 2010
    Would that cause diarrhea?

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I read one mistake you made. Lettuce is not good for rabbits at all. There are quite a few foods that are toxic to rabbits as they have very delicate digestive systems. A rabbits main diet should be pellets and timothy hay. Treats should be given sparingly. Feeding timothy hay assists with avoiding the hair balls that they can get. What type of hay were they eating? The reason for the pellets is because they need the protein that the pellets provide.

Also, there is SO much false information on the internet about rabbits and how to feed them. In the future I would stick with nationally recognized rabbit clubs such as www.arba.net.

I am sorry you lost your bunny! [​IMG]

5. 7Maples

Sep 3, 2010
    It's Timothy hay. I couldn't remember what it was called while I was typing that. I knew we had alfalfa but I stayed away form that because I read it was bad for them. Guess I need to look at the arba and make sure I'm not doing anything else wrong.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:ARBA is a great help, even if you just go to a few local shows and ask questions. Rabbit people are extremely friendly and tend to want to help others. They have been a lifesaver for us.

7. ~Wind~

~Wind~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Sorry for your loss, its never easy to lose a pet especially when you watch an animals last moments.

(((((Hugs))))))

As far as what happened, I have no real guess without having seen her in person. But it sounds like maybe some kind of poisoning with the dirty backside, lethargic, stiffness in the back end and then back arching. Do you spray your garden with anything? or your grass near your garden? even small amounts can set off their system. Although if it were something like that you would thinbk it would have shown in them all. I hope someone else can give you some answers.

8. 7Maples

Sep 3, 2010
    The last time anything was sprayed was over a month ago and I didn't give them any greens around then and when I started again, it was in a completely different area and where no wind would have blown any towards it. They are in an area where it wouldn't have gotten blown on them either.

Thanks to all of you as well. I'm getting out of my shock now I believe. Still confused but hopeful now that the other 3 will be alright. Going to watch them just the same.

9. ~Wind~

~Wind~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Just another thing I thought I would mention.

Raw pumpkin is a great cure all.

Its all natural. Its the first thing I try when anything is off with a rabbit or any of my other animals. You can get it in a can just make sure its plain and not pie mix. If I notice any of my animals being off, I give everyone a taste of it just to make sure things dont pass around. I have no scientific proof of anything only years of using it and having great results.

Its great for all animals...

Helps with:

Diarrhea
    Vommiting
    Constipation
    Fur Balls
    Infections

10. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Quote:actually lettuce so long as its the dark greens like romain lettuce are very good for rabbits though not as a staple diet but a small amount daily is fine. and although ice berg lettuce is not good to feed them a tiny bit here and there wont hurt them its not becuase its toxic its becuase it has no nutritional value and eating it over long periods of time will deplete there systems. it was probably good you were feeding the lettuce. i doubt it had anything to do with hair ball since hair balls will clog the system not allowing anything to pass. rabbits can become dehydrated VERY quickly and once they stop drinking theres very little you can do some people reccomend adding small amounts of apple or carrot juice to there water to intice them to drink. more then likely there was somthing that caused the runny poos and with the ehat caused the dehydration and death i highly doubt it was the lettuce unless she was given large amounts( more then normal) im very sorry for your loss!! pumpkin is a good cure for tummy issues canned no spices and if you worry about hairballs try mixing pineapple juice (about a teaspoon per cup) into the drinking water every week or two pineapple will help clear up hairballs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by