Really?? Sexing a bantam

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ambabya, Apr 15, 2011.

1. ambabya

ambabya Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    So when I picked out chicks at the feed store today, the girl helping me told me she could sex the bantams by turning them up-side-down. If they lay flat, they are a roo but if they try to curl up, they are a pullet.

Is this true? I didn't buy it for a hot second but now she has me wondering. Ha! I thought I would ask the experts [​IMG]. Thanks!

2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    NO. It's an old wives tale that people love to spread around.

3. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I have been able to get my bebe to do all 3 of those things each time I've turned her belly-up. BUT the first time I did it, she stayed put. Funny thing is, everyone (at the beginning) was 100% sure she was a roo. Now everyone is 100% she's a pullet.

Me, I've been hoping pullet.

Did I confuse things more LOL? [​IMG]

4. ambabya

ambabya Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    I didn't think so LOL.

Every one I'd pick out she would say it was a roo. Oh well!!!!!!!

5. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    I've heard/seen the old wives tale as well, but it was a bit different: put the chick on its back in your palm. Cover with the other hand and let it settle down. Remove the top hand. Two legs drawn in = female; one or two outstretched legs = male -- or that's the tale. I tried this once, then completely forgot about it, so I have nothing to offer except a post dedicated to an old wives tale. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by