really sick duck

silkiemother

Crowing
Sep 14, 2018
east wenatchee
so I have a maybe four or five year old pekin hen that's small ofr her breed which is why she's still alive and not meat. I came out yesterday morning to let out my birbles and I saw her laying in a corner and I thought maybe she was laying an egg so I left her alone. I came home and she was still laying in the exact same spot but when I went towards her she really stumbled at getting up but still managed to get up and walk. I have her quarantined in my garage at the moment so the other birds can't get to her, but when I came home today she was even more lethargic and didn't care what I did to her or protest. she's still drinking but is refusing all kind of food, even treats like shredded apple and egg. she's kinda raspy when she breathes and one leg is super swollen to like twice the size of the other one, it wasn't like that yesterday. Does anyone have any idea as to what may be wrong or how I can help her? I can't afford a vet right now. I did feel and look her leg over, nothing feels/looks to be broken or dislocated and she doesn't have bumblefoot. oh, and the weird thing is, the pads on her feet are really swollen too on that foot, I have no idea what may be wrong

Can you take a picture of the legs and feet? From what you describe, it sounds like some kind of leg injury that happened. There could be an infection going, but the whole leg suddenly swelling seems less likely.

I would gently feel both legs and compare them and see if you can feel any breaks or anything out of place.

I would bring her inside, if possible, or at least somewhere where she can rest, stay warm and be safe and comfortable. I would also give her own food and water that is easy for her to access without moving. Sometimes ducks stop eating and drinking when they have a leg injury. So you will want to keep an eye on her food intake.

she's refusing all sorts of food and will only drink if I put it directly in her face. the poor thing can barely stand and if she does she's using her wings for support. I'm trying to get her to eat what little I can but I know that it's nowhere near enough to support her. I also noticed her wheezing today when I checked on her. I know this has something to do with her leg but I'm scared to stress her out and make her worse if I try and give her an Epsom salt soak

she's refusing all sorts of food and will only drink if I put it directly in her face. the poor thing can barely stand and if she does she's using her wings for support. I'm trying to get her to eat what little I can but I know that it's nowhere near enough to support her. I also noticed her wheezing today when I checked on her. I know this has something to do with her leg but I'm scared to stress her out and make her worse if I try and give her an Epsom salt soak
You might have to consider tube feeding. @casportpony can give you more info. You can look in the learning center for her article as well. If you have the supplies or can source them quickly, I would try that. She needs to eat.

I'm very sorry to hear this. I would probably consider tube feeding as well - but it can be very stressful so you might factor that in. I've done it to my friendly ducks, under veterinary advice, and they hated it. But it is over in a few minutes and they feel better for the rest of the day.

The swelling and wheezing makes me wonder if she has an infection - but she'd need testing at a vet to determine. I understand you aren't able to do this. You can buy bird antibiotics online, but I'm not experienced with this.

The swelling and wheezing makes me wonder if she has an infection - but she'd need testing at a vet to determine. I understand you aren't able to do this. You can buy bird antibiotics online, but I'm not experienced with this.
This is what I'm thinking to, but I don't have enough experience to diagnose it. @silkiemother, can you get photos please? Its really hard for us to diagnose it without photos. :hugs

I tried my best to get photos of it but she really didn't want me touching it. it's double the size of her other leg. she's also weirdly taken to like hiss-wheezing at me whenever I go check on her
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg

Back
Top Bottom