Really sick turkey poult :-(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MamaMarcy, Feb 22, 2012.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I went to feed our little flock and found Tiny Turkey barely breathing, laying against their water bowl. She will open her eyes, just barely, if picked up. The coop is pretty new to them, second hand, so now I am worried. My guesses:

1. A disease from the coop
    2. A fall from the coop down to the run/neck inury (the turkeys are hesitant to use the ramp)
    3. It rained about 10" here yesterday. The coop is over the run so well protected, but...?

I brought her inside, limp. My instinct was to take her to the bathtub and pour warm water on her feet to warm her. She barely reacted to any of this. I had one of the kids crank the thermostat up, then wrapped her in a towel and held her. She was doing some agonal breathing and really looks like she is dying. I got a few drops of glucose water in her mouth, hoping for a miracle. I set her in a small cardboard box inside the bathtub, wrapped in the towel, shut the door & turned off the light. It's the warmest room in the house. I went back to check on her and she's still breathing, less agonally, and seemed to be shivering. so I warmed to bath towels in the drier and got her rewrapped and back into the box. She did open her eyes briefly and moved 2 toes.

I've prepared the children for her to not live.

My gut says she needs ot be put down. My husband should be here within a coupel hours and I know he can do it. :-(

Should I try to give her overnight? I've seen animals and people die. I know what it looks like. This bird is dying.

2. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    She's gone.

Rest in peace, Tiny Turkey. You were loved. [​IMG]

3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Sorry your poult didn't make it. Your sig mentions you have another, yes? How old is it? These guys are very sensitive to environmental stress until they're pretty well feathered out. A brooder with a heat lamp is best. A high protein feed (gamebird starter 30%) will insure maximum development in briefest period of time.

After three months, or so, they can handle about anything nature can throw at them.

You might want to read these (pretty good references): http://albc-usa.org/EducationalResources/downloads.html

Good luck!

Turkey forum, here, is also useful.

4. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Honestly I've lost track in weeks...but they are/were fully feathered and well into getting their bald heads. At least 5 months old. The surviving poult (maybe poult is now the wrong term) will join our adult turkey, Big Mama, but I want to keep an eye out for disease in the coop before I mix any birds up. The survivor is in with ducks now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by