1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

really skinny chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abooot99, Jan 18, 2010.

1. abooot99

abooot99 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2009
    New Ipswich
    Hi all,
    I took my 9 month old chicken in the house about one month ago because she was lethargic and just not doing normal chicken things. She was eating, drinking and all that in the house. The next morning to complicate matters, my dog randomly attacked her. Her wing was a little droopy and she was mouth breathing so I brought her to the vet. The vet examined her and commented that she was lean but not skinny and noticed her crop felt doughy. He was more concerned with her wing drooping. He xrayed it and found nothing on the wing but noticed something in her crop that was bread like. He said she may have delayed crop emptying. A fecal was negative for parasites.

Recommended I give her soft mash only and nothing else and water. Well, I did that for about one week and she appeared to be doing much better. I reintroduced her back into the flock. She was more active and involved in the flock. Now, her only symptom is weight loss. I noticed she appeared skinny and was just thinking maybe they need more food and treats. I have their chicken pellets free choice along with grit and oyster shell but lately, I have been trying to find healthy snacks for them. So, they have been getting something everyday.

Tonight, I am alarmed. I went to take her out of the nest box where she was planning on staying the night (usually she roosts with the others) and she felt like a chicken carcass with no meat. The bone between her breast is super sharp and frankly, I dont know how she is alive. She appears fluffy but looks are definately decieving.

Last vet visit was $2oo plus so was hoping I'd get advice off here. She hasn't laid an egg since prior to me bringing her in the house weeks ago. I am concerned about her. She is doing nothing but loosing.

What do I do? I have never wormed them. Vet reported negative fecal. Doesn't that indicate no worms?

Someone please give me basic instructions with details since I am a newbie.
    thanks

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Could you please tell me the breed and type bantam of lf & her weight.
    -thanks! Mark

3. abooot99

Jun 12, 2009
    New Ipswich
    she is a silkie mix. At the vet she weighed 2 pounds. Now, I cant imagine she weighs anything.

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Bring her into the house. Is she eating - have you seen her eat with your own eyes? Once in the house, scramble some egg for her and offer. I am not sure what might be going on, but she needs to be warm and offered lots of nutritious foods. Thaw some frozen veggies - run them under hot water until thawed and offer them to her.

How is her crop?

[​IMG]

5. abooot99

Jun 12, 2009
    New Ipswich
    I felt her crop tonight and it felt medium for her. Not golf ball size but a half a golf ball maybe. Firm. I will have to bring her in the house tomorrow. I have no crate for her. I do have a coop heater that keeps it about 35 in there at night. It is quite cozy. I don't want a repeat episode with the dog.

Then what?

6. HorseFeatherz NV

Do you have a box you can put her in? A closed in shower - something. Can you lock the dog in your bedroom or the chicken in your bedroom. Put her in a laundry basket with a towel. She is thin - she cannot regulate her body temp and 35 is too cold for a thin, sick chicken.

Bring her in and feed her some scrambled eggs - they are easy for her to digest and will help boost her overnight in the warm house.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My skinny chicken got brown sugar oatmeal and chicken feed crumbles, olive oil and lactofree milk mixed for breakfast. 1/2 bread for snack. Crumbles free choice. She actually put nice weight on in 5 days, you can feel the difference. If they are really skinny, I say give them a vitamin, and just give them whatever else they'll eat.

Are you sure that she's eating the feed pellets? Would she do better on the crumbles?

8. abooot99

Jun 12, 2009
    New Ipswich
    My coop is 48 degrees from that heater. I will bring her in in the morning, I promise. She has been like this for a while apparently. One more night in this coop would be ok for her.
    I will set her up and feed her all of the above and grind her pellets. I messed up last weekend and ended up with pellets instead of crumbles. There is still crumbles in their feeder.

I guess I will just feed and observe her like last time.

My house is tiny but I will probably just get her in the bathroom bathtub in a box or something. I will set her up.

Should I try to get a dewormer?

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Well if your vet did a fecal and there was nothing, I wouldn't. Did he check her for mites?
    I'm wondering about the pellets, do you think she got thin because there were pellets instead of crumbles? My spoiled rotten chickens won't touch pellets, LOL

10. HorseFeatherz NV

Some of my smaller chickens will not eat pellets either (D'Uccle). You can soak the pellets and offer them also, some of mine go crazy for them this way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by