Really sticky chick barely hanging on HELP!!! Really long winded

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickenaddict, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    This was my first run with an incubator so i learned alot along the way. I had temp issues and humidity issues early on but eventually figured it out. The hatch was due on saturday but only one had hatched. SUnday i got 9 more babies thru out the day. All never dried completely and have this crunchy hard layer covering some of their feathers. This morning a chick that had pipped last night hadn't made ANY progress so i left it alone until 9 am this morning and still clearly struggling it appeared to have been glued inside the membrane. I quickly grabbed the chick out of the bator and ran into the bathroom to wet the membrane and help it hatch. I got it out quite fast but it was sooo sticky more so than the others so i ran it under warm water to get the goo off and managed to get it most of the way or so i thought. This chick has been in a basket inside the brooder wrapped in a warm wash cloth for 2 hours and keeps peeping really loudly. It can't lift its head at all and is full of the dried on goop. Because it is sooo fragile right now i don't want to mess with it too much. Is it gonna be harder to get this crud off of its head once it completely dries on or should i try and get it off now? The rest are doing pretty good despite the hair gel look on a few of their heads and feathers. Brooder is 100 degrees right under the light and 95 off to the sides, it is a rubbermaid tub. I really want this lil chicky to make it but from the looks of it may loose the battle. To be honest because of all the issues i have had trying to figure out this bator (lg) I expected a horrible hatch. I started with 26 eggs and ended up with 10 bad eggs half way thru leaving me with 16. 5 more eggs in the bator yet and only one with a pip which hasn't changed since last night. Should i give it another day? Quite a few nights the temps had dropped to 97 degrees but picked up again during the day, I am assuming that is what delayed the hatch. TIA for any advice

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Sounds like your humidity was way too high when they hatched. What was it at? Is your hygrometer calibrated?
    I have had sticky chicks and did run them under warm water to get most of the hardness off.
    I hope he does well for you. Please keep us updated on how he is [​IMG]

3. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    I'd get the wash cloth off of it and get it and the others some good ventilation. Rubbermaid tubs are wonderful for containment but it sounds like what it needs to do is dry off so that the down will properly insulate. Lots of fresh air exchange and heat lamp. Laundry basket is better than rubbermade for right now. Goodluck.

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have no idea how to calibrate a hygrometer [​IMG] I have one of those digital accurite ther/hygrometers in the bator along with a regular hygroemeter/thermometer to see how far off they are from each other, so far only 1 degree difference. Humidity was 45-50 for 18 days and 65-70% the past few days. The rubbermaid tub is very well ventilated, I put chicken wire over half of it where the heat lamp sits and the other half has a board over it to keep the cats out. This is not my first time hatching chicks just hatching them in a bator so i know what the brooder temps are suppose to be at, this is just temporary until i fix them up a better brooder later today. It is entirely possible the humidity was too high, i had to add water the other day and it spiked up to 80% briefly. I did what you weren't suppose to do and opened up the side for a bit to let some of the humidity escape. The chick is now shaky but warm enough and not wrapped in the wash cloth anymore, that was just done right after i rinsed him off in the sink. I guess i have alot to learn about using bators yet [​IMG] Broody hens sure take the guess work out of hatching!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  5. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    65-70% is too high. At hatching I keep mine closer to 50-60%. Nothing you can do about it now though except maybe try and keep it a little lower for your next hatch. There is a thread on here somewhere about how to calibrate your hygrometer.....
    Hope your chick is ok [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by