Really stinky incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MoodyChicken, Apr 28, 2009.

1. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Is it normal for an incubator to smell TERRIBLE during the hatching phase? I only have two eggs in there, both alive and doing well and pipping. I had 4 chicks hatch in there yesterday. They pooped and left egg bits and membrane everywhere. So is it normal for it to smell this bad? I had to vacate my bedroom last night. lol.

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Mine is always a little ripe during a hatch.

3. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    yup it's normal [​IMG]

during hatching time when the chicks hatch that nasty after birth blup stuff left in the egg smells because the heat with high humidity in the bator

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I don't hatch in the incubator, I move my eggs to the incubator that I use for hatching. I usually do staggered hatches, so only clean the hatcher every two weeks. Mine never smells bad. I mean I can smell an odor when I open it, but, not until it is open.

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Normally I move mine to the hatcher too, but these were the last eggs so I thought I'd leave em be. This new bator has a fan... so it's been blowing stinky air throughout my room. The smell won't hurt the two eggs that haven't hatched yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by