Really strange egg, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sumi, Jul 31, 2011.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    One of my hens just laid this weird, soft egg, no shell, with an umbilical cord?
    Any idea how this happened? I've never, ever seen an egg like this! I'm a bit freaked out, to be honest.
    [​IMG]

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I have a hen that lays those same eggs. They're like water balloons with the same strange umbilical cord thingy going on. She's been laying eggs like this since winter so when I find out which hen is actually laying these... She's going to join me for dinner. [​IMG]

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Wierd things happen. I wouldn't be concerned unless it's frequent.

4. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Had them just like this... several. No more. Always have oyster shell available & NO MORE Walmart layer feed. EVER!!! Haven't seen any in quite a while... Found out, though, these types eggs aren't so uncommon in production hens (I have Golden Comets), especially when just beginning to lay. Increase calcium... that took care of problem for me. But, I'd no longer be shocked if one shows up again in the future. I've got some juveniles who'll begin laying before long.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    The hen who laid this egg was bred for production, but she'd been laying for months now... I know which one did it, she laid it almost at my door and I was sitting here watching her.
    My hens all free range and have access to lots of greens and they get a bit of layer food in the mornings with their usual feed of cracked corn, so I'm quite surprised by this. I've had some tiny eggs, but no shell less egg. Their eggshells are usually nice and strong...
    And what is with that cord??? It's freaky...

6. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I had my chickens laying soft shelled eggs as a result of being raided by raccoons. I received two such eggs in two days. Then they settled down again and I've had no repeat. Is it possible that something has frightened her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by