really strange question.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by blueberrychickens, Jun 27, 2010.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    How tall is a full grown hen? We are starting the run soon & plan to go 18" up from the ground w/ the hardware cloth. Will that be high enough to keep their heads in & out of the hands of racoons?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yes, 18" should be plenty. 12" is a little too short.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    When I first read your post, I thought you were only going to make the run 18 inches high! haha. My full grown standard chickens are just a bit short of knee high. 18 inches would probably do it, but 24 inches would be sure!

mk

4. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    So you're saying the run will be 18" tall? What breeds of chickens do you have? That would be too short for some of the chooks I have here - marans, welsummers, wyandottes, etc.

5. blueberrychickens

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Oh no, not just 18" high, more like 6 feet high! [​IMG] Putting the hardware cloth on the bottom to keep heads in & hands out!!! Burying the apron out 18" too!

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

A standing coon can probably reach over 18 inch wire. I'd go at least 24".

7. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I have to agree -- a full grown raccoon can have a good reach if it is determined -- 18 would be ok, but 24 would be better.

I too was picturing the short version of your run. [​IMG]

8. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Ahhhh....gotchya! [​IMG] I would go around 24"... if it's easier to go 18" though then I would stick with that.

9. blueberrychickens

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Well I figured that the hardware cloth we bought is 36", so 1/2 goes under the grass & 1/2 goes up the fence. They will be locked up @ nite inside their Fort Knox coop. Run is going to be 25'x10'. Spoiled spoiled chickens..... [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    You need to go 24" if you have standard hens. I have a 6 foot fence....bottom two feet is a smaller mesh top 4 feet is 2"x2". My big roos are taller than 24"....the hens a bit shorter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by