Really stupid question about letting hatchery chicks eggs hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cackle, Nov 30, 2008.

1. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Okay, I have RIR and BR from the same hatchery. What is the chance with as many chicks they sell of the RIR roo and hens being brother and sisters. I would love to hatch some eggs in the spring but I am thinking I need to get another roo or new pullets?

I was thinking I could try to figure out which eggs are the RIR/BR muts and just hatch them . But what happens if I let one of the RIR eggs hatch with the parents poissibly being brother and sister?

BTW it may not be spring a RIR Pullet has been sitting on golf balls all day.

Susan

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  2. pattypenny

pattypenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2007
    It will be ok even if they are brother and sister.

3. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    being brother and sister does not matter. we raise chickens from the same "parents" then they breed. everything has been fine. its not a big deal

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    It would be very un likely !! Like the others said even if they were its still ok, I belive you can breed for 3 genarations !!

5. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    Milton Florida
    There are thousands of eggs hatched, and the chicks are all mixed up, probley not related anyway.

I seen a video of hatchery, hard to believe how many chicks are hatched, sent down a chut, then shipped. Those roosters need a raise!!! lol

6. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    That is good to know. I figured as many eggs as they hatch it would be a long shot. So I will in the spring hatch some of the RIR eggs.

And the RIR finally got off the nest. I guess she was just having a hard time laying.

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by