Really, super poor people.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickensducks&agoose, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I just discovered a very, very poor family about 3 miles from my rural home. They have 4+ dogs, and some little kids, and broken windows in their home, and are thin, disheveled and dirty. I am broke, but not like that. we have food and heat (even though our propane was a present from my brother, cause we can't afford it) and my kids bathe, and my house is well insulated and we're okay. this family isn't okay. When DH gets paid on wednesday, i'm going up to walmart and picking up a 50lb bag of dog food, as well as a gift card to a local grocery store and a few gender non-specific presents. we don't have much, but it really seems that this family is in dire need of help. i can't think of anything beyond an anonymous donation... i don't want them mad at me, or feeling weird about it or anything... but i really wish I could actually make a difference.... thoughts?

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I think its great you are going to help. Maybe they need less dogs to feed. More $ for the house and family. [​IMG]

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    If you are a member of a church discuss with other members on how to help these folks. I'd find somebody to fix those windows, fix the heat, feed and clothes the kids. I hate to say it but if you take 50 lbs of dog food, these folks may feed it to the kids. If you are not a member of a church, contact the habitat for humanity, or similar organization, to get the aid these people need. Times are tough, and I don't know what part of the country or world you are from, but there is help out there. Good luck!

4. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

^Agree. If they can't take care of themselves/kids they don't need dogs.

I don't know if I'd venture a gift card myself... but then down here grocery stores sell booze and you can use gift cards to buy it. I think I'd stick to buying canned foods, fruit veggies and meats, and just dropping them off.

Another reason being that they might not be able to GET to the store to use the card... which means begging a ride and explaining how they got that card, which might be embarrassing. *shrug* My two cents. Bit biased because I've seen relatives use money for kids' food going to booze instead. Which is maddening. Now I just send straight out food, straight out clothes, etc. so I know that the kids aren't starving while parent is nice and 'warm'.

5. chickensducks&agoose

i only met the mom, and she didn't look fed or warm either. it's possible the dad is a super jerk, and chooses to have his family in such a situation.... so i thought I'd drop stuff off during the day. i don't have a church locally, but I know people who do, and will pass on the information. good call on the 'getting to the store' thing... hadn't thought about that. it just somehow feels more charity-like, to drop off food, than a card. the dogs are used for hunting, poaching really, i agree they don't need that many of them. i think some are young, they were trying to sell some about 6 months ago, probably a litter from their unfixed hunting hounds. I'm going to call the grandma, and ask her the ages/genders of the kids. i can't imagine that they're going to be able to put on a gifty christmas.

you know how there's poor, and then there's POOR? Now i know, i have to do something.

6. Mason

Mason Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2010
    Franklin NH
    chickensducks&agoose :

i only met the mom, and she didn't look fed or warm either. it's possible the dad is a super jerk, and chooses to have his family in such a situation.... so i thought I'd drop stuff off during the day. i don't have a church locally, but I know people who do, and will pass on the information. good call on the 'getting to the store' thing... hadn't thought about that. it just somehow feels more charity-like, to drop off food, than a card. the dogs are used for hunting, poaching really, i agree they don't need that many of them. i think some are young, they were trying to sell some about 6 months ago, probably a litter from their unfixed hunting hounds. I'm going to call the grandma, and ask her the ages/genders of the kids. i can't imagine that they're going to be able to put on a gifty christmas.

you know how there's poor, and then there's POOR? Now i know, i have to do something.

When it's the right thing to do, we all know. Thank you​

7. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I know some people like that. Well they're not all that dirty, they do bathe. Only one dog but they have around 14 cats (most are inside cats) that they can't afford to feed. I offered to find homes for some of them but they won't let me. Plus they smoke and waste money on a lot of crap instead of what they really need. Some people can't be helped.

8. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Not all poor people are like you describe. I've also known people who did their very best to use every penny wisely, and they STILL were extremely poor, like my friend who was so grateful for the peanut butter sandwich - peanut butter is WAY WAY too expensive, he would never buy anything like that for himself. In many cases, there is a problem with the husband not providing well, and that can be for many reasons, but it is the kids and spouse that suffer. Not everyone can leave.

But most of the people I know who are in really bad shape, are that way usually due to health reasons. They've gotten hurt and can't work, they went broke trying to pay for health problems, etc. One fellow I know lives with his very old mother. He can't work - he never has been able to due to health problems, the mother won't be here for much longer. He gets enough money from the state to just kind of barely keep the two of them alive. He gets some health care, but for example, it appears the state would rather have him incontinent and unable to walk, than working. His condition is, I do believe, treatable, but the state will not provide that.

They struggle along as best they can - the town they live in is very poor too. And yes, they have two cats that are very elderly, and stink up the house, and they can't afford the cats really.

When anyone suggests they get rid of the cats, he starts crying.

There isn't any really simple solution to the issue of extreme poverty, and all poor people are not like described in prev post.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  9. chickensducks&agoose

told DH about it, he says they probably make the same $$ that we do... and that poor is a way of behavior, not of financial status. I don't care, I'm dropping off dogfood, kidfood and a few small presents. probably won't do a grocery card, but maybe a McDonalds card or something...we have one 7 miles away, and i know the dad has a car. I really think, that if everyone goes out into the world, and can spare $50, even when you can't REALLY spare $50, you still sort of can... we have debt, but $50 isn't going to make a difference to us.. and it might to them.... even if it's just a kick in the pants, or a revelation that humanity is good... or that they should think about their kids... or maybe it'll just make them mad... but people have to try.

10. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Gosh I wish I lived near you. I would contact the school and tell them that you don't want to infringe on anyone's privacy but if they know that some of the kids don't have boots etc. you could drop them off there. I did that when my kids were in elementary school....even bought glasses for one little girl ...... the teachers cooperated and no one was the wiser.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by