Really Ticked off Big time

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blackbelt, Aug 5, 2010.

1. blackbelt

blackbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    bloomington springs tn
    After years of being involved with self-sufficient living and owning 2 homesteads, and working on a kill floor for many years, I get ticked off when I see people abusing an animal, just the other day I was at an auction, and their was this guy cramming chickens in a create one after another trust me their was no room for what was their. I stopped an told him stop smashing the birds in their, he said he only had 3 more to go, I said no more birds in their, he left to get the others and I open the cover and some got out and ran for cover. I went to the head of the auction and told him what had happened. I told him that even on the kill floor the USDA has standards and this is not standard. He said he would address the problem. I've seen them mistreat not only chickens but ducks goats and rabbits. I just don't go for that never have and never will.

Yes we dress our pigs chickens rabbits and even beef here at the farm, but never ever abuse an animal. I do my dead level best to finish the animal as quickly and humane as possible. Their are hundreds of thousands of animals put down on a daily basics
    for food consumption I know that, but it must be done in a humane way. Each animal we have on the homestead is taken care of ,even babied from the time it's born to the time it's sold or put in the freezer.

My animals are not some mass produced shot with steroids and fed growth hormones to produce food for the consumer. I raise our own food because I enjoy keeping animals and eating healthy food.

Ok I went on and on sorry. It just ruffled my feathers when I saw this. Here at the homestead I raise goats, chickens, rabbits, pigs, honeybees,red worms and meal worms. Every other year I raise a beef. oops almost forgot turkeys, I'll raise 6 or 8 of them. Treat animals with respect, is the bottom line, if you do not know how to care for them, get the knowledge.

2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Good for you, needs to be more people like us!!!

3. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    Thank you! I'm so sick of the mindset that because an animal can't speak our language, that it doesnt have feelings or deserve to have its needs met and be treated with respect.

4. Keens2050

Keens2050 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Narvon, PA
    Don't worry Blackbelt. It upsets many of us, too. I was at a livestock auction a few months back and there was this guy who sold chickens, pheasants, etc. Well the young boy (maybe 10/11 years old) who was his helper or maybe his son was terribly abusive to these birds. When he went to put them in the crate it's almost as if he tried to squeeze them extra hard on their necks before jamming them into the crate. I watched him do this to a few birds and you could tell on his face he was evil and taking out his frustrations on the poor creatures! Well after about a minute he looked over and saw me watching him and then he settled down. I gave him the dirtiest glare I could muster. Stuff like that stays with you for a while. God created creatures for us to care for. Just because they don't speak our language doesn't mean they can't speak their own language! I believe animals have personalities and feelings. And if something has personality, doesn't that make them a bit more like a person? I hope that boy isn't taking out his anger on the birds because that's what he's been taught or how he's been treated. Sometimes you look at it from the other's point of view and see that they got it pretty bad sometimes but it's absolutely no excuse for abusing any living thing. Ok, now you got me going on a rant....

5. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    It's horrible I know. [​IMG]

6. blackbelt

blackbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    bloomington springs tn
    OK my chores are done and I'm listening to my tunes and chilling, later I'll go out and do one last check as always. I did not mean to get peoples feathers all fluffed but, it's about time someone did something when it comes to these animal auctions. I've been to hundreds of them if not thousands and it is not right. I have to follow USDA guidelines with my animals care, and so should auctions. Their is really a very easy solution. The auction needs to post rules about over crowding,and abuse. I'm going to follow this up and see where it goes.

Yes animals do communicate with each other, I'm no animal psychic but common sense and watching them and raising them tells me they do. Thank you for your response. I really enjoy hearing from folks with the same interest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by