REALLY tired, reading for DAYS - Keep all 25?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GiddyMoon, Apr 17, 2011.

1. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Hi all,

well..we have been wanting chickens for years..we have had many types of animals throughout life..we are the rescue spot..but never "barn" type... I am a reader..if I do something, I research the snot out of it.....so that is all I have been doing for awhile. I know a lot about forums and I know we all love it when people read, read read, before asking..but I really need to ask since I see so many different views.

We moved from CA to AZ this past year and we finally have an acre. I just could not find a selection of chicks I wanted in town, so I broke down and ordered a Meyers Rainbow Pullet pack of 25...I know about possible death...but really..we only originally wanted maybe 6 chickens or so..I knew I could sell the rest.....but now it is the MALES in this house saying "No, we can't give away any of the babies!! [​IMG]

There is a great spot at the end of the house where they had a dog run...many chain link poles are there, about 30' long by 25 ' wide...we are going to fence this in and build a coop. We have chosen an elevated design so we can have a small run underneath in case I can't let them out..which will be rare because there is always someone home..we are self employed and homeschool. We do have an occasional coyote, but this yard is filled with quail, rabbit, etc

So..here it is...because of our move, money is tight..this was a big investment for us..I felt this was very important for the boys to learn and they are excited. THIS is a long term priority. How much feed will 25 go thru a month..I know, depends on how much I supplement and free range..but can I get an idea?

I have read so much about 4 feet per chicken in a coop, at least..but then I see many people who have less.

I WANT to hear from people who keep 25 standards..realistically, what am I looking at for coop space..which will only be used at night. I really have to decide if I can afford to build a coop that large.

We are in warm AZ..I am watching for dog runs on CL, we are collecting pallets or may use something else..I just need some realism that I may have to shove down the throats of my men....thank you [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  2. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I had more then 25 but now I have 23 left. 3 ducks, 4 roosters and 16 hens. They are currently living in a 7x7 rubbermaid shed along with 3x4 duplex coop I've build last summer in a 16x10 chainlink fence. They will be moving to 8x8 chicken coop (bottom of the coop will be used as a covered run) and 8x8 run so giving it 8x16. That's all done but next weekend we'll be finishing 32x38 run that will be attached to the coop and the other 8x8 run. If you wait till tonight, I'll be posting some pic's at (My destiny has changed) thread.

As far as feeding, I do free range them time to time if I'm outside with them but other times they are in there additional run (Play area) if you go to my byc page, you'll see their current set up.
    I buy 50lbs egg feeder along with 50lbs of scratch. I would say that lasts me roughly about 2-3 weeks. I also feed them everyday what's left over from dinner such as rice, grains, left over salads, spaghetti, corn muffins, corns, uncooked cabbage, things like that.

In their new big run (32x38) I'll also put their 3x4 duplex coop and they'll have their 8x8 new coop as well. My ducks usually sleep outside. I've had the chickens and ducks for a year now and had no problems. You might want to cover your run to protect them from raccons, hawks, owls, vultures and etc. A good run is a secure run. Some people here would say build or buy them 10x10 coop. Since I have my little 3x4 and new 8x8 coop, that is enough for us. Chicken math will always be an issue. If you don't buy one, chances are some of the hens will eventually go broody. I had 1 hen go broody and only got 1 chick out of 12 eggs. Now my silkie is going broody [​IMG] Always try to build as bigger as you can.

You can get materials from contruction sites, Craigslist or from asking anyone you know that is building something that they don't need or they've already build something and asking for the left overs. They is always a way if you have the will to do it. Hope this helps, good luck [​IMG]

3. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    If the weather is warm and dry where you live, you can get away with more of a simple structure than a traditional coop. None of my birds have a coop, they have simple runs as with a dog kennel, with a roof, a solid wall at the end, a roost, and a windbreak where the roost is. It works for my silkies and bantams, the same type of housing should accomodate standard fowl as well.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  4. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    And....what part of Arizona are you living in. That will make a difference in what you need for housing your chickens....people don't realize that there are many different areas that have lots of snow in the winter.

5. GiddyMoon

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    We are in Tucson. We had an inch of hail a few weeks ago and it was melted and 80 within 2 days..we get a few nights year that might freeze, but that is about it..winters, we can have 30 degree nights at times, but dry and 50 by morning sun..thank you for all your help guys..I would love to keep them all but right now I have to be very realistic in what I can handle..and that stinks:/

6. GiddyMoon

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Bumping, hoping more 25ers will have more help!

7. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    I'm in agreement with MamaChic. I was going to say about 100 lbs of feed per month. Figure in getting some oyster shell and maybe some cracked corn or oats or wheat, whatever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by