Really trying to improve my chickens feed.....

ThinkingChickens

Songster
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Now that I have some time to think about my girls more I really want to change their feed. I've used Purina Layer Feed in the past but have been using this because it's sold locally at our only feed store. However, I just don't think, even with supplementing some regular fruit and veggies, that this is the best we can do.

Do you guys mix? What commercially available foods I can mix or what additives (bags of grain? etc.?) that I can mix to provide the girls with a better food. Or, am I feeding a food that's just fine and over worrying the situation. We've had them for 18 months and they are fine, but don't look as good as I think they could and certainly aren't as weighty as they could be.

Going to the big feed store in town today. Any advice is appreciated.

I mix the value bird seed from Walmart and 3 grain scratch. THEY LOVE BIRD SEED!
droolin.gif
It's got White Millet, Red Milo, and BOSS. The BOSS is great for them. They get good soluble-fiber from the shells, Omegas from the raw oils, and not to mention a ton of protein too, from the flesh. I also feed some meat scraps as treats often. Remember... chickens are NOT VEGETARIANS (like Purina urges people to think.) In nature they'd eat all the bugs, lizards, small snakes, and mice and small rodents they can get their beaks to.
Cooked rice and spaghetti noodles are also good for them. Spaghetti noodles also have a good amount of calcium in them. Don't give them uncooked rice though. It swells up in their crops and can impact it if they eat too much at once. Chickens are pretty much the 'garden-clean-up-crew.' They will eat pretty much ANYTHING!
I personally don't feed anything Purina. Not to my dogs, cats, rabbits, duck, or chickens. I think they are more 'pretty pictures' than quality. I like Nutrena. They have good quality ingredients. The NautureWise All Flock and Layer actually have named ingredients in them! No other brands I've found in/near Alpharetta & Roswell Ga have those. Just my opinion though. (It's all personal (and chicken) preference.)
My 11 hens and 1 lil munchkin roo free range 24/7 so they get all of their animal proteins from nature. I don't even coop them up at night!

Hope this helps.
woot.gif

Ground flax seed is also a good thing, you can buy it whole or already ground. If you buy it whole make sure to grind it yourself.

I don't like soy based feeds either. I use them because that is what I can get from the local feed mill. I use Tuckers Layer feed in equal amounts. It is 22% and made with PORK not animal by-products. I also use spent grains from a local brewery. That cuts my feed bill and gives them a little more protein. I also raise meal worms, I have not feed them out regularly yet. I am thinking of switching to just the Tuckers for my grown breeding birds. They may do better and really since it is 22% verses 16% it is the better deal since it is about the same price. Good luck on your quest.

I also thought about add sprouted grains and duck weed, not sure I have the time for all that with about 200+ chickens. Maybe some in the winter.

I feed Purina because it's what our local store carries, and my grandpa is a salesman, so I can get all the special promotions and deals. I feed a mix of about 10-25% scratch and the rest Layer. In the summer I throw in some oats too. And in the winter I do 5% Scratch, 10-20% Cracked Corn, and the rest Layer. I also let mine free range all day, year round.

I'm going to start growing some alfalfa for them too. And I have a sprout garden in winter, so that they get plenty of green.

In my ideal dream world, I would grow all their food and mill it myself. But I just don't have the time or space to do that.

Best of Luck~Ms.B. :)

I mix the value bird seed from Walmart and 3 grain scratch. THEY LOVE BIRD SEED!
droolin.gif
It's got White Millet, Red Milo, and BOSS. The BOSS is great for them. They get good soluble-fiber from the shells, Omegas from the raw oils, and not to mention a ton of protein too, from the flesh. I also feed some meat scraps as treats often. Remember... chickens are NOT VEGETARIANS (like Purina urges people to think.) In nature they'd eat all the bugs, lizards, small snakes, and mice and small rodents they can get their beaks to.
Cooked rice and spaghetti noodles are also good for them. Spaghetti noodles also have a good amount of calcium in them. Don't give them uncooked rice though. It swells up in their crops and can impact it if they eat too much at once. Chickens are pretty much the 'garden-clean-up-crew.' They will eat pretty much ANYTHING!
I personally don't feed anything Purina. Not to my dogs, cats, rabbits, duck, or chickens. I think they are more 'pretty pictures' than quality. I like Nutrena. They have good quality ingredients. The NautureWise All Flock and Layer actually have named ingredients in them! No other brands I've found in/near Alpharetta & Roswell Ga have those. Just my opinion though. (It's all personal (and chicken) preference.)
My 11 hens and 1 lil munchkin roo free range 24/7 so they get all of their animal proteins from nature. I don't even coop them up at night!

Hope this helps.
woot.gif

Quote: You may want to research your information more before posting.
Uncooked will NOT swell in there crop. Raw Rice is used in many types of high quality poultry (including pigeon) feed mixes.

Also the Purina that makes pet food is a different company than the one that makes livestock feed.
Purina pet care (make feed for pets like dogs and cats) is owned by Nestle where Purina mills is owned by Land-O-Lakes.
Nutrena is owned by Cargill which may still have a small partnership with Purina Mills.

Chris

oh i didnt realize that about nestly vs L-o-L.
i still really dont like Purina products though.The 1st ingredient of their chicken feed in Atl, GA is always by-products. im not a huge fan of that. idrather have fresh grain instead of leftovers 1st.the rice thing was told me by an a n old farmer so i took his advice lol!
thanx for the clarifiction.

Thank you for all the replies. I did read them all and I'm sourcing some of the things mentioned. One of the bummers of living in a rural mountain town is the accessibility to some things but I'm looking at shipping.

Back
Top Bottom