Really upset! Re: Neighbor & hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I'm very upset right now and need to vent. Please, no flaming or I will ask for this thread to be closed in a heartbeat. TY
smile.png

There is an elderly neighbor lady that my DH's family has known for 40+ years. She was very helpful to DH's family when his mom was sick, and at other times. Despite that, I don't know her very well having only spoken to her a few times. To put it mildly, her and I are from different planets. Have absolutely nothing in common.

So, this lady just came up here to buy eggs from me and bring me some egg cartons. Unlike our other neighbor that has commercial chicken houses and doesn't have a problem being around my free range birds, I can tell this lady (who also has commercial houses) is uncomfortable being around here. I took the eggs out to her while she waited by her truck.

As she was about to leave, she asked me if it would be okay to kill a deer or two that she's seen on our side of the fence and share the venison with us. I didn't know how to respond!

I told her, well we don't eat venison and we are trying to not disturb the herd that is living on this farm. I didn't mention that it would be very offensive to me for her to do that, for religious reasons. I also forgot to mention that DH would not approve, because we have cows on the land right now. These cows belong to the other neighbor; we lease our pastures to him. I did tell her that if she were to shoot a deer on her land and it came over the property line, it would be okay to come over and finish it off. DH had told her last year that it was okay to squirrel hunt along the property line.
sickbyc.gif

Now I'm in tears, knowing that she will kill off some of the herd that has found sanctuary on this farm during hunting season. I'm sorry to all you hunters out there; but I don't tell you what you can do on your own land or leases. It's none of my business. This, however, is.

Sorry for the long rant, but I can't stop crying.
hit.gif

My only advice would be to weigh up what's more important to you, the deer or the neighbor relations.

Your land, your rules-bottom line.
I'd call her up and tell her nicely, in no uncertain terms, that there is to be no hunting on your property-PERIOD!

Quote:
Neighbor relations are important to me; particularly because I have to consider my DH's feelings; but these deer are important to me too. They give me a reason to smile every day.

I just talked it over with DH. He abides by my feelings, as I do his. He has told me that, knowing this neighbor as he does, she won't hunt on the place unless I expressly tell her it's okay; which I didn't.

I strongly believe in live and let live. She's free to hunt anywhere she chooses to, that's her right, just not on this property.

I am a stranger in a strange land. I am not from Arkansas and I don't understand alot of the arkies ways. I couldn't care less if the neighbors or any of the townspeople stare at me as if I were green and had horns coming out of my head. I try to treat every person I meet with respect and kindness. I only expect to be treated in kind.

Why not tell her that after more thought you realize it would not be wise for her to hunt on your property due to the leasing of land to the other neighbor cows. If she kills it on her property then it's hers...but on your property it is off limits. She should understand that. I am sure the deer are on both sides of the fence off and on. Problem solved :)

I'd get DH to talk to her if he is more friendly with her and tell her that you'd be very thankful if she wouldn't shoot any deer on your property. You don't really need a reason, it is YOUR property, but if she wants one, plain and simple you are attached to the deer. It is really none of her business why you don't want her to kill the deer!

Unfortunately deer don't recognize property lines so as upsetting as the prospect is to you that some of them may be shot there really isn't anything you can do to prevent it. We don't allow hunting on our ground as a rule....not for the sake of the deer, but because of some of the idiots we've had to deal with over the years. We have a buck in one of our pastures that has a giant rack.....he's been around for awhile and I hope he's still around next year, but I know he doesn't just stay within our pasture so the odds of him being shot are pretty good.

If you don't care how you look to the neighbors and towns people just have DH go over and say that you're from another planet and it would upset you too much to have the deer killed on your property.

Okay, I just read this again and it doesn't come out the way I wanted it to.
tongue.png

Just put it on you and leave it at that. It would upset you too much to see a deer that you love killed.

. . . did that come out better?
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I hate confrontation. SO what I'd do, is I'd call her and say that I'd mentioned it to DH, and he said that it probably wasn't a good idea, since he's got cows on the land, and that he was sort of enjoying watching the deer herd, but if he changed his mind, you'd call and let her know. That way, it's not like you're saying 'NO', you're just not as clued into the cow/deer situation as DH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom