really weak goose - update RIP hansel the goose xxx

Discussion in 'Geese' started by nyksducks, Aug 5, 2010.

1. nyksducks

nyksducks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    essex england
    hi all what can i feed my goose to build him up. he always seemed to be on the pond when i went to feed them at my stables. i just thought he loved the pond, but now it seems he may have just been too weak to get off it. i have bought them home now but he just sits there. he is eating and drinking but not much. i thought he might have been paralised but he moves his legs when i lift him up. i exercise his legs as much as i can but he spends much of the day just sitting there not moving.

please help him/me. if he is like this for another couple of days (already been since sunday) then i may have to put him to sleep. his girl will miss him so much, she calls for him when he is only the other side of a bit of mesh!!

what is for the best? build him up and with what or put him down?

thanks nyk (uk)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    What are you feeding your geese? I give mine vitamins mixed in the water. They roam with my chickens so they drink what my chickens drink and I add it to the water. They also may need extra Niacin and Brewer's Yeast as well. Not sure if the yeast comes in the vitamin pack or not, but you could get some pills and crush them and you could even get some Niacin and mix the yeast and niacin in the water. This helps keep their legs strong because their legs are the weakest part of their body. I also give my chickens and geese a large bunch of Kale everyday. This has alot of vitamins in there and it is good for them and this gives them a jump on their green intake for the day.

I would never put something down without at least trying for a while to see if it improves.

I am sorry to hear of your sick goose. I sure hope she improves.

3. nyksducks

Apr 23, 2010
    essex england
    RIP hansel the goose xxx

4. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    Did you put him down?

5. nyksducks

Apr 23, 2010
    essex england
    no his breathing laboured and he passed away. i am gutted. i floated him on his pond to give his legs some exercise and he was swimming round really happy. then i put him back in his shed to dry and have some food and when i checked on him half hour later his head was down and he looked even worse. i hope i didnt do wrong by letting him swim. he looked so happy on the pond. maybe is zapped his last bit of energy.

sorry boy i feel i let you down. rip

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by