Really worried about chick, please help me!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ApriltheQuail, Apr 3, 2016.

1. ApriltheQuail

ApriltheQuail Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    One of my day-old, quail chicks is having real problems, it has splayed legs which I've tried to fix but now its head is flopping backwards. I don't know what to do, I've tried to get it to drink some water, I thought it might be dehydrated, with no effect.

These are my first chicks. I'm terrified that I've done something wrong, even though I'm sure I can't have.

Please, please, please help. I am so scared.

2. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Don't be scared. It's Wry neck. Give it some vitamins. Polyvitasol without iron (baby vitamins) works.

3. MotorcycleChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    If you have some time, look for hatching articles by Sally Sunshine. She explains wry neck and how to fix the leg issue (if you aren't confident you did it right).

4. ApriltheQuail

Apr 3, 2016
    I've done some research and I am not convinced I can buy Polyvisol in the UK, can I substitute any multivitamin? Is there a specific problem with giving them iron or does it have to be iron-free? Sorry for all the questions, I'm a complete newbie!

5. MotorcycleChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Don't be sorry! I know that birds can't have iron. I will see what I can find out about other forms of vitamins. Do you have Nutra drench? It is for poultry.

6. MotorcycleChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    BTW, welcome to BYC to you and KKprompol!

7. MotorcycleChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    How about Chick saver? It comes in a little packet at the feed store.

8. ApriltheQuail

Apr 3, 2016
    I don't have a feed store near me, I've been buying most things online. I could get nutridrench but I think it would take 2 days to arrive and I don't think I could wait that long! I found a vitamin D baby vitamin that doesn't have iron, everything else has iron in it! If that would work I could probably get it today no bother. Thoughts?

9. MotorcycleChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    BRB

10. MotorcycleChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Nope. Vitamin D doesn't seem to be an important one.
    This has been the best answer I have found.

"I have had my dealings with Wry Neck, it's a horrible sight to see them go through but I must advise you, they get worst before they get better. Here's how I treat them, First 1 full vitamin E, I usually give this at night. I usually try to put it directly on there beaks and let them drink it. It takes a long time to get the whole thing down because they don't care much for it, but you have to keep working with them. Then I give them 2 drops of Polyvisol without iron. make sure they drink it, which they usually do because my chickens for some reason LOVES the Polyvisol. I will give them this in the morning and at night. Since I work during the day it's hard to give them it for a third time but if you can give the polyvisol 3 times a day at 2 drops each shot that would be great... Some of my chickens that have had wry neck, will recover quickly, but I have had some that would get worst and worst each day to the point of "this chicken is not going to recover". then after about the 5th day sometimes longer. BOOM they start to hold there head up and recovery is on the way. It's very frustrated and heart breaking because you think what else I can I do. But if you stick with it, perhaps they will get on the road to recovery...

To get them to eat, I would take there food soak it with water until it's completely liquidfied. Then you can take a dropper and feed them that way. I would do this until "recovery" has occurred or they start to eat on there own. By soaking there food and giving it to them with a dropper not only do they get some food but also water. Just do drop by drop... Patients is a Priority because it does take a while before they improve.. Hope this help, good luck, please keep us updated..."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by