Really Yummy Multi Grain Bread

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ImStillMags, Nov 11, 2010.

1. ImStillMags

ImStillMags Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Here is a multi-grain bread recipe that I've been making and I really like. The combination of different kinds of flours with the add ins of rolled oats, flax and sesame gives this bread a richness and heartiness withot being heavy or dense.
    [​IMG]

You can bake it in hand formed loaves or bake it in bread pans for a sandwich style loaf. I've also formed it into dinner rolls, they are great with soups.

Here is the way I make it:

In a 4 cup measure put:
    21/4 cups warm water ( minimum of 110 degrees or more)
    1/4 cup molasses (the molasses will cool the water down so make sure the mix is 110)
    3 teaspoons active dry yeast

Use a fork or small whisk and mix the water, molasses and yeast together well. Let it sit to poof your yeast while you get your dry ingredients together.

In your mixer bowl or large mixing bowl put:
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 cup oat flour
    1 cup semolina flour
    1 cup bread flour
    1/2 cup rye flour
    2/3 cup Vital Wheat Gluten (the VWG is important to the rise and texture)
    1 cup rolled oats
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/3 cup brown flax seeds
    1/3 cup brown sesame seeds
    1/2 cup ground flax seeds (I grind my flax seeds in a coffee grinder I use only for grinding herbs and spices

Stir all dry ingredients together well in mixer bowl so everything is evenly distributed.

Melt 1/4 cup of butter and whisk into your proofed molasses/yeast/water mixtue and
    add into the dry ingredients. Stir till dough is shaggy. If it seems wet add a bit of bread flour, if it seems too dry add a bit of water.

Put in dough hook and kneaded for about 7 minutes with dough hook. ( If you are going to hand knead it will take about 10 minutes.) Turned out on floured board and kneaded by hand a couple of minutes.
    [​IMG]
    Put in a big, well buttered bowl to rise covered with with a damp tea towl or plastic film. Let rise for one to one and a half hour in oven with light on till doubled in size.
    [​IMG]
    Turned dough out on floured counter and cut in half. Punch down and form into two loaves either in loaf pans or hand formed loaves on a baking sheet.

Let rise in oven with light on for an hour covered till doubled in size.

Bake at 375 for 30 minutes till loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Remove loaves from pans and cool on a rack.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Ooo thank-you for posting this. DH loves making bread but he's been slacking off lately so maybe this recipe will get him motivated, and now it's so dark and cold when we get home at night. mmm warm bread... [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  3. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Beautiful loaf....

4. ImStillMags

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    This has become my favorite wheat bread. I've made it several times now both as a pan bread loaf for a sandwich loaf and as a free frorm artisan loaf and for rolls. I really want the gump bread gals to try this recipe, it is a good addition to your bread repertoire.

5. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    This looks delicous! I will have to try this! Thank you for this recipe! [​IMG]

6. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    That looks lovely! I don't have semolina on hand. Will have to get some on my next trip to the Amish store. I'd like to try this one. Thanks for sharing.

7. ImStillMags

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Quote:The nice thing about this bread is you don't HAVE to use semolina if you don't have it on hand, just use another cup of whole wheat or oat or bread flour, whatever you like most.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

9. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    I want o make this today and i am going to the store now, but where do you get the Vital Wheat Gluten? Can anything replace it, if i can't find it? [​IMG]

10. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I have never tried to bake bread, but I have been looking for a good recipe to try. I bet I could do this one, and it looks really hearty and delicious. Thank you so much for posting!

BTW, you take great pictures. I can almost smell the fresh bread....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by