Rear bleeding-Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dschwartz, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Dschwartz

Dschwartz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2014
    New Mexico
    I have three of my chickens that are bleeding from the rear just recently. One, a couple of days ago and now two more today. There have not been any blood smears on their eggs. My rooster has recently been very aggressive toward the girls, could he be the cause, or is there something else that I need to be looking at first. The one from the other day stays as far away form him as possible.

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there, it sounds like you have someone pecking at the rear ends. You need to gently check each hen to try and discover is the bleeding internal, or from a cut/peck on the outside pink area. I think you will find it's on the outside area, if so - apply some blukote to the area, watch for infection and especially - keep the injured parties away from the perpetrator. If indeed it is your rooster being overly aggressive, he needs to become soup or he will likely kill your girls. Watch him carefully with your other birds. Keep us posted, [​IMG]

3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Just curious - how's it going? Did you get the problem solved?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by