Rear mangled - pecked down to muscle/organs

Czugi

Songster
May 15, 2021
Help please 😢 Integrated my flock recently - mild pecking, nothing major. Or so I thought. Finally got ahold of my rooster today and discovered his rear end is *completely* mangled. Appears they’ve pecked all of the skin off down to muscle wall around his vent. Sorry the picture is so graphic 😫 How do I treat this?? Is it even treatable?? I have Tylan 200 on hand and will go get anything else I need. Thank you all so much!!

Attachments

• 28DDFA5E-DF4E-4356-945B-6F7CE2EB9EBC.jpeg
    28DDFA5E-DF4E-4356-945B-6F7CE2EB9EBC.jpeg
    620.4 KB · Views: 16
Obvious first steps:

Put him somewhere safe, where the other chickens cannot peck him.

Make sure his new pen is nice and clean, with the bedding changed frequently.
Some people use old towels, because they will not stick to the wound the way some other kinds of bedding would.

Make sure he has access to clean water, and his usual chicken food.

I don't know about treatment, but I'll tag a few people to help with that.
@azygous
@Eggcessive

Obvious first steps:

Put him somewhere safe, where the other chickens cannot peck him.

Make sure his new pen is nice and clean, with the bedding changed frequently.
Some people use old towels, because they will not stick to the wound the way some other kinds of bedding would.

Make sure he has access to clean water, and his usual chicken food.

I don't know about treatment, but I'll tag a few people to help with that.
@azygous
@Eggcessive
Thank you so much! First timer with chickens and this is totally out of my pay grade!

Treat for shock first. Electrolytes and sugar water. He needs to drink that for today and tomorrow.

Get some saline wound wash or make some. Recipes on the internet. Flush the wound well. Use a syringe or even a turkey baster to get in all the crevices of the wound. After you do that, take another photo of the wound with the feathers smoothed to the side to let us see it better.

You will need to keep the wound moist with antibacterial ointment. Flush wound daily and use the ointment a few times a day so the tissue never dries out. It will probably take five or six weeks for new tissue to grow in.

Treat for shock first. Electrolytes and sugar water. He needs to drink that for today and tomorrow.

Get some saline wound wash or make some. Recipes on the internet. Flush the wound well. Use a syringe or even a turkey baster to get in all the crevices of the wound. After you do that, take another photo of the wound with the feathers smoothed to the side to let us see it better.

You will need to keep the wound moist with antibacterial ointment. Flush wound daily and use the ointment a few times a day so the tissue never dries out. It will probably take five or six weeks for new tissue to grow in.
Ok, will do! He’s acting completely normal - eating, scratching around in the yard. Total luck I happened to be able to grab him and see the wounds. Any recommendations on the ointment?

That looks really bad, I'd put him down, the pain must be horrible. How long and how did you intricate?
New chickens were in a wire cage in the original chickens pen for about a week, then had shared free range in time for another week before they were put together. They’ve been together for about a week full-time now. Spent the first few days hiding in the nesting boxes but have since been venturing out into the run.

Just generic triple antibiotic wound ointment or old fahioned Neosporin. You can also use coconut oil if that's all you have. It has antibacterial properties and will do a good job of keeping the tissue moist.

Ok, will do! He’s acting completely normal - eating, scratching around in the yard. Total luck I happened to be able to grab him and see the wounds. Any recommendations on the ointment?

After washing and trimming away feathers. It looks god awful. None of the damage is below flesh - just all skin from that area is gone. Appears they pecked around the vent. I feel like I should cull him but I’m just not sure. He immediately started eating his crumbles after washing him up. He allowed the cleaning with little to no fuss as well. I sprayed it with microcynAH gel which had the same active ingredients as Vetercyin.

Attachments

• 80004260-C11F-4781-8792-29AD73B7CA8E.jpeg
    80004260-C11F-4781-8792-29AD73B7CA8E.jpeg
    548.1 KB · Views: 6
Kind of looks like my legs looked after I was burned badly. No one suggested euthanizing me, and the wounds looked worse than they were, and they were pretty bad. It took around six weeks and all new skin grew over legs that looked more like fresh butchered beef.

The only thing standing in the way of your rooster recovering is if you assess your time commitments and find you don't have time to devote to his wound care for the next several weeks. There is no shame in culling when you haven't got the time for this demanding project.

Twice daily flushes with saline wound wash and keeping wound salve on the wound will keep bateria under control and you should start to see new tissue growing from the edges toward the center.

If he should take a sudden decline, going lethargic and won't eat, losing strength, behaving sickly, that would mean his body is losing against bacterial infection, and then you probably would want to euthanize.

Back
Top Bottom