Reason for deaths (Hatcher Experts Needed)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    So I am on day 15 on 36 silkie eggs. I have done alot of hatches I have been raising silkies/hatching for 4 1/2 years. In all my hatches I have some start to zip and die. I never could figure out what it was I have had atleast 3 out of 15-20 eggs do this almost every hatch if I don't catch it in time and help them in time.

What I would like to know is why this happens? I know it goes by only the strong survive. BUT! It made it all through incubation and piping and then starts to zip and just dies? Perfectly formed chick yolk is absorbed. Any advice would be great!

ALSO I have had to help some chicks out I never know when is the best time and just go by my gut. I have helped ALOT of babies and they have been fine but then there is some that just didn't make it when I have helped.

SO my 2nd question is when is the best time to jump in? Is there a time I should wait after piping? hours? What I always do is I check the clock when I see a pip if I see no progress in 3-4 sometimes 5 hours I help a bit. I always go in within that time and peck on the windows to see if they are still moving and frisky. I always watch for bleeding when I help and stop right away. Any advice on this would be awesome too. Just taking in all the Knowledge I can before hatch day. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I firmly believe that the frail nature of silkies is their own demise when hatching. I have had very little luck with them. Some people say to wait 24 hours to help, but I say follow your instincts. I never intervene before 12 hours has passed myself, and I have about 70/30 success rate with helping them out.

Good luck!!

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Some times the shells can be too hard for them to crack open. My policy is to wait for at least 5 hours before intervening. I only remove the shell and let them get out of the membrane themselves. Silkies as a breed are fragile. Take your chances, I suppose [​IMG]

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    thank you both, I have hatched RIR's and they hatched like popcorn popping. Silkies are very fragile guess I will just have to baby this hatch as always [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

Quote:Sounds right to me! Silkies are difficult. I have 7 in my bator now and only 3 look good.

6. debilorrah

Quote:Sounds right to me! Silkies are difficult. I have 7 in my bator now and only 3 look good.

7. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I had 42 I am down to 36.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Having incubated hundreds of eggs...both silkies and "regular" birds [​IMG] I will say that silkies are definitely harder to hatch.

One of my theories has to do with the vaulted skulls. I don't know if yours are vaulted, but most of mine are. For a chick to hatch it has to 1. have it's head under it's right wing and 2. it must turn in the shell as it hatches.

I think that the large vault prevents this from happening easily and the chicks die. Perhaps even from pressure on their brain that is protruding out of their skull. For this very reason, I am thinking about working on hatching silkies that are either non-vaulted or minimally vaulted but still have the large crest. If you will check Hattrick Silkies website, there is a very good informational page on vaulted vs. non-vaulted silkies. Vaults are NOT necessary for large crests and I can tell you from experience that they make the birds MUCH more fragile. All of my wry neck has been in birds with large vaults.

http://www.hattricksilkies.net/articles_vaulted_skull.html

10. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    From my own hatches I have some with large vaults and some with out and yes it does to always be the ones with large vaulted skulls. This hatch is a test hatch from a BYC member He told me that they would have the vaulted skulls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by